Weak Fingernails

Options
OnionMomma
OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
I have weak fingernails. They can grow but when they do and I start enjoying them they inevitably get to the length when they will split and crack and break.

They are super flexible, I can bend them once they are long enough.

I read this article today:

http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/804521/top-tips-to-prevent-and-repair-dry-damaged-nails

I'm gonna do things on this list but what have you done that works to make your nails grow longer?

Replies

• UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    After eight years working as a nurse with all of the hand washing, sanitising, and keeping nails very short my nails were terribly brittle when I tried to grow them out. What ended up giving me much healthier and stronger nails was Rejuvacote.

http://www.amazon.com/Duri-Cosmetics-rejuvacote-Rejuvacote-0-61oz/dp/B000G33KEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373225876&sr=8-2&keywords=rejuvacote+duri

41pv00F-moL.jpg

This stuff really did help. :)
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    ^^Thanks

Anyone else have any tips?
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have super strong nails, I like to keep them a bit long and dont have any problems with chipping etc. I did have problems with this when i was younger but then i started to play the guitar and was told by my teacher to soak my fingertips in methylated spirits, this helps to toughen up the skin on the fingerpads. I did this for maybe a month or so, for 30 mins a day. Since then my nails have been super strong, but my finger pads never did harden up LOL! That was over 20 yrs ago.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Biotin supplements will turn your nails into diamondcutters
  • 8mommylove8
    8mommylove8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't have enough calcium/magnesium. Do you take supplements?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It's genetic. My mother had weak nails too. I can peel mine off with my fingers. Nothing I've ever tried has made a difference. Now that I'm retired and can't afford the $30 a month for salon nails, I've given up trying, and with all the gardening I do, mine are short, barely past the quick, and my cuticles look as though I trim them with the hedge clippers... and by the way I take calcium supplements daily; makes no difference. (profile pic is my hubby).
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    I don't take supplements. For years I took prenatal vits whether or not I was pregnant. But, even during those times, my nails were brittle.
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ^^Thanks

Anyone else have any tips?

Eat nuts or/and seeds. I think they've made my nails stronger, but perhaps overall diet change and including a lot more fresh vegetables and protein helped that too.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with weak flimsy nails too. My thumb nails always crack well below the quick and I have to wait til it grows out a little to even cut it off it is so deep. But a friend recommended putting cuticle oil onto my nail beds and massaging it in. I also got this stuff at Wal-Mart called 'Hard as Hoofs' and I have been rubbing it in as well. My thumb nails look the best they have looked in as long as I can remember. I have a lot less splitting and cracking. I actually polished them for work the other day (polish lasted two damn days, smh) I am curious if anyone has found the gel nail polish strengthening their natural nails. I don't want to pay $25 to have my nails painted if the only benefit is it stays on for about 14-21 days...I don't have that kind of money. But I would do it for extra benefits. :)

As far as the biotin, it caused a rash on my face. I have seen the dose I 500 mcg and up to 5000 mcg, so start w/a low dose and be prepared to start sprouting hair in potentially new places (like your chin)
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It's genetic. My mother had weak nails too. I can peel mine off with my fingers. Nothing I've ever tried has made a difference. Now that I'm retired and can't afford the $30 a month for salon nails, I've given up trying, and with all the gardening I do, mine are short, barely past the quick, and my cuticles look as though I trim them with the hedge clippers... and by the way I take calcium supplements daily; makes no difference. (profile pic is my hubby).

LOL...(profile pic is my hubby)...good to know :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My nails used to be just as you have described.

I do not know whether this is related, but I started MFP a couple of years ago as a heavy meat eater. Around 4 or 5 months ago I stopped eating meat and my nails are now in fantastic condition, my skin feels so much better also.