Best run tracking app?

Options
AigreDoux
AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
I just finished C25k and moving on to the Hal Higdon beginner 8k training program.
I mostly run on a treadmill, but sometimes outside.
I want a basic app that tracks mileage and pace and gives me some stats. The more stats the better. GPS would be good for the outside runs.

I don't need to have friends, post to my facebook, have a feed, get reminders or motivation or anything else.

I tried Runkeeper and Mapmyrun and they are all so cluttered and have too many features, it is difficult to just go in and log my 2 mile treadmill run. I don't mind paying a few $ for an app, but don't want a subscription service.

Any ideas?

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I like the NikePlus app. (Nike+)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Nike+
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've only used map my run, but I find it inflates distance and my speed.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Strava is my choice also but if you have a Samsung phone or android S Health is the easiest one to use. It can tell when you walking or jogging and you dont have to do anything extra. you can if you want but not needed. Strava is best for stats and friends to compete with.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    strava
  • action_man
    action_man Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Strava for sure. You get a ton of stats, especially if you run similar routes often, you can easily compare runs. If you care to pay for their premium service (I don't) there's even more features, but its more than usable with just the free stuff. I especially like that you can track mileage on your shoes and set alerts so you get notified when its time to think about replacing them.

The app works pretty well, but I use a GPS watch to sync with it. Most watches will come with their own tracking web app, but I find Garmin's to be kind of cumbersome.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Buy a watch B) Garmin and Polar both have decent dashboards, and the Forerunner 25 is pretty cheap. A fr10 or 15 are older and cheaper and still work great for tracking via GPS.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've used Runkeeper, Map My Run, and Runtastic - Nike+ remains my favorite for tracking my running.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used my GPS watch to track my runs, works great for me. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Strava
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Garmin and Garmin Connect works for me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,418 Member
    Options
    Depending on what phone you use. ismoothrun is really the best out there for ios. Yes, it does cost but it has the most acourate gps tracking, fully customisable running screen, dark and light running screen colour for nights/too much day light, it treats elevation data much better than runkeeper, and encodes pauses properly. and you can create your own custom workouts. I love it and would never use a different one. Yes, the GPS track is very detailed and that means it stores more data, but that's worth it for me. Oh, and it exports to all runnings sites out there.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nike+ app and I use my Garmin Vivoactive!