Struggling to go to the gym

umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
I have been burning more than 3700 cals weekly for past 6 weeks doing walking/jog and cycling, which is not bad. But I have not been consistent in my routines. I have become more of a weekend warrior. I have been struggling to go back to the gym again. It has been 6 weeks of absence from the gym. How do I get the motivation back to start my gym routine? Struggling with exercise:(

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I like what another person in another thread had said about motivating themselves to get to the gym - they only required ten minutes of working out. After ten minutes, they could stop. It worked out because usually, they would keep going after ten minutes because they had already gotten started, but that rule kept them motivated because they weren't dreading a long workout session.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    I am still in the phase of not wanting to work out. I decided that last week, like it or not, want to or not, I was going to work out (at the gym or at home) and just push through it until the workout was over! I can't say I finished the week motivated to work out or even liking my workouts, but I know that that won't happen until I am feeling some results...and that won't happen unless I fight through the workouts!

I wasted so much time waiting for motivation that I really believe now that motivation is something you make, not something that just hits you.
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    The easiest way for me to do it is just not to think about it. Alarm goes off at 6:30. Get up, get dressed in 15 minutes. 15 minute drive to gym. Do workout. Home. Shower. Start day.

If I let myself think about it, I might talk myself out of it with any number of "reasons" (read: excuses).
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    For me, my attitude was 'I don't have to like it, I just have to do it". Unless sick or wounded I have to go to the gym.
  • daniel7121
    daniel7121 Posts: 166 Member
    I'm in a similar predicament, I haven't been to the gym going on 3 weeks. It seems like tomorrow is further and further away. I'll go to the gym when they open on Tuesday if you will! Add me if you want encouragement, heaven knows we could all use a little more of that..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    I have been burning more than 3700 cals weekly for past 6 weeks doing walking/jog and cycling, which is not bad. But I have not been consistent in my routines. I have become more of a weekend warrior. I have been struggling to go back to the gym again. It has been 6 weeks of absence from the gym. How do I get the motivation back to start my gym routine? Struggling with exercise:(
    You don't HAVE to go to the gym to lose weight, but you SHOULD go to the gym if you want to look good naked. The reality is that you have to really WANT to go and you'll go.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    For me, my attitude was 'I don't have to like it, I just have to do it". Unless sick or wounded I have to go to the gym.
    I wish if i can have that attitude that would really help!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Tell yourself you will just go in and do 10 minutes if that is all you can manage.
    Usually, once you get going, you will tend to keep going.
    Alternatively, forget the gym and find another activity you enjoy that is active. All life does not begin in the gym, there are plenty of other ways to keep fit, from walking to cycling to skating to tennis, the list goes on.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    dude, don't you want to be the best you that you can be??
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    why are you waiting around for motivation to magically show up at your door? make a decision to go to the gym, put the time to go into your weekly schedule, and go. set an alarm on your clock or phone if you need to, and when the alarm goes off, you go to the gym.

i wish i had something magical to give you. i wish i had some motivational words that would get you there. but i don't. and nobody else does either. but i can give you a plan instead. step 1, decide to go to the gym. step 2, go to the gym. step 3, repeat the next day or the day after that, depending on your workout routine. follow those 3 steps for a few weeks and you'll realize that motivation was never what was needed.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    This frustrates me because I deal with back issues and have for 12 years.

I struggle when I CANNOT GO to the gym because I am forced to rest my back.

I WANT to be there, and it is so hard when I MUST not.

GO.

because you CAN
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    This frustrates me because I deal with back issues and have for 12 years.

I struggle when I CANNOT GO to the gym because I am forced to rest my back.

I WANT to be there, and it is so hard when I MUST not.

GO.

because you CAN

What she said.

If you can't find the motivation within, there's not much anyone here can do for you.

Work hard to look better.
    Work hard to feel better.
    Work hard to BE better.

If you don't, honestly, no one will care but you.

You'll be at home sitting on the couch, knowing there's somewhere else you should be, something else you should be doing.

Take this as an insult if you must, but it's not meant as one: Be unhealthy and weak, or fight to change that. It's your call.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Pack your clothes, equipment, and program the night before. If it's practical, go to sleep in your gym clothes. Aim for a reasonable minimum, two or three times a week. If you make that, consider increasing the number. If you can't get to the gym, have some equipment so you can get in some kind of workout at home.

I hate going to the gym and have been inconsistent all my life. But if I get into a pattern, I find that it's on the brain and I want to make an effort to get there and also to do exercise outside of the gym. See if you can get there twice a week and put in a good effort. Try to do it for a month and see how you feel.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member

This. Most successful people have learned to do things that will support their goals even when they don't want to. Tell your brain to hush and stop letting it reason you out of your workouts.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Stop finding reasons not to go to the gym and start finding reasons to go.
  • oohashbee
    oohashbee Posts: 21
    Just GO! Think of it as an appointment, or work. You wouldn't miss work for six weeks straight, would you? You wouldn't schedule a doctors appointment and miss it, it's the same thing. I don't always feel like going to work, but I HAVE to!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    I don't understand how you can NOT want to go to the gym. Crowd anxiety I can understand or even a feeling of embarrassment. But just not wanting to go? Sorry, I don't get it.

I have far too many reasons TO go to the gym to not "want" to go.

Tired of being fat
    Afraid of developing diabetes or any of the myriad of obesity related issues.
    Wanting to be stronger and see what my body is capable of
    The excitement and feeling of accomplishment when I surpass my previous limits
    Talking to people with similar fitness interests
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    You either commit or you don't. Don't go looking for other people to provide your motivation or you're going to come up short.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Strangers on the internet can't will you to go to the gym. We can want it for you, but if you don't want it for you, then it's not going to happen.

Stop seeking the push from external sources and start finding the push from within.

You have to want it for you.

Here's the truth. Statistically speaking, you're likely to live longer and live a better quality of life if you drag yourself to the gym. So why not make "living" be your motivation.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    The easiest way for me to do it is just not to think about it. Alarm goes off at 6:30. Get up, get dressed in 15 minutes. 15 minute drive to gym. Do workout. Home. Shower. Start day.

If I let myself think about it, I might talk myself out of it with any number of "reasons" (read: excuses).

Thanks for this. I need to do this. I have been having problems as well. When I start with the gym, it is easier to be consistent.

OP I am there with you. I have been doing 1 day a week. I made a pact to suck it up this week. I didn't hit my goal. But I did do 3 workouts. Here is to success next week.