New - Only 1,2000 calories!

Options
Hi

I am new to MFP. I'm only looking to lose about 10-12 lbs by mid-October for a beach vacation. I currently weight 146.5 and I'm 5'3". I would like to get down to 135. I know I don't have much to lose but 1.2000 calories per day seems really low! I tried doing it about a month ago for a couple of days and I was starving!!! I've done weight watchers before and it allows you extra bonus points so you don't feel guilty when cheating. Is there such a thing as "bonus points" for MFP? Any tips on meal planning for 1,200 calories per day?

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no bonus points and it is too low
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting 1200 from?
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and BMR. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator
  • honeybunnyxc
    honeybunnyxc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    how much weight did you say you wanted to loose? Slow weight loss is better than a fast one more likely to keep it off.
    Also you can exercise to gain more calories to allow you to eat more a bit like the old weight watchers.
  • JamieLong1966
    JamieLong1966 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New on MFP as of today....I'm Vegan and working out at a fitness gym. Trying to track what I'm eating for weight loss.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A couple things in play here -
    1. Did you choose 2 lbs a week? With the weight you have left to lose that is too high of a goal. It should be .5-1 lb a week. That will give you more calories.
    2. MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back. So if you exercise most days, you will be eating more.

Also, the sedentary level is pretty low, most people would be lightly active (that doesn't include exercise, only daily activity).
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and BMR. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator

^^ This.

I wish I knew why people got fixated on 1,200 calories a day. You say you're hungry? You should be... that isn't enough. I'm with the above... figure out your total calories a day by using the calculator... and slow and easy is best. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • schmenge55
    Options
    I did an online calculation and it suggests your BMR is about 1450. This is what you need to "stay alive" if you did nothing but lie in bed all day (these are just estimates, but the best you've got). If you have any reasonable activity during the day you likely pretty easily need 2000 calories per day, maybe more. So at 1200 you are far too low, you will be starving, risk losing lean tissue and screw up your metabolism. So don't go to 1200. :)

IF 1450 is correct and IF you burn 550 through activity and you drop it to 1800 calories as long as those are good quality calories you should not feel hungry. The weight will not come off as fast, but it will come off. Slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Change your MFP settings to a loss of 1 lb a week, this will give you considerably more calories.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Such negativity! There is more than one way to do this.

I did 1200 when I was losing (I've been in maintenance for 15 months). You do get "bonus" calories in that you can add on whatever you burn with exercise.

Good luck!
  • shortyboom
    shortyboom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The 1,2000 calories was automatically calculated when I setup MFP. I said my current weight is 146.5 and that I want to lose 1 lb per week. MFP told me 1,200 calories. That seems insanely low and impossible to do. Is MFP wrong in its calculations?
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment suggesting to use the Scooby calculator :)

I started at 1200 calories as well and due to my job and active lifestyle the 1200 just weren't enough for me and I felt very weak, dizzy, and nauseous from that little amount. I increased it up to 1700 and it was a very good decision :)

Also although there is no "bonus points" you can simply work out more to earn extra calories :)
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    So, you've got about 12-ish weeks to lose 10-12 pounds. Doable. Your TDEE set at sedentary is probably somewhere around 1700-ish (based on age, height, weight). So, yeah, if you chose not to exercise at all, you're looking at 1200 cals a day - you should lose a pound a week. You've already determined that's too low for you, so seems like options would be to eat more and exercise more, or set your goal to lose less than the 10 pounds. Of course, you can start to change the shape of your body in 3 months as well, which may make you look like you've lost more weight. I believe this is where strength training comes in. Bottom line, though, is to be sure that what you're doing is sustainable after your vacation - unless you're okay with gaining the weight back. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong with the numbers or the strength training - I'm no expert, just going off my own experience. :smile:
  • shortyboom
    Options
    Oh I also said my activity level is non existent. I currently do not exercise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The 1,2000 calories was automatically calculated when I setup MFP. I said my current weight is 146.5 and that I want to lose 1 lb per week. MFP told me 1,200 calories. That seems insanely low and impossible to do. Is MFP wrong in its calculations?

What activity level did you choose? The sedentary one is very low.
    Also as I mentioned above, MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories n

And with 10 lbs, .5 lbs a week is the ideal goal. The less you have to lose the less deficit you should have.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

No, it is not wrong in its calculations, many people are on 1200 per day, some can't stick it and increase their calories, others can stick with it.

It is finding what suits you really.
  • shortyboom
    Options

What activity level did you choose? The sedentary one is very low.
    Also as I mentioned above, MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories n

And with 10 lbs, .5 lbs a week is the ideal goal. The less you have to lose the less deficit you should have.

Hi - I chose sedentary because I have a desk job and sit all day. It said low activity is someone who is on their feet all day like a sales person. Should I change mine to "low" if I plan to exercise?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Such negativity! There is more than one way to do this.

I did 1200 when I was losing (I've been in maintenance for 15 months). You do get "bonus" calories in that you can add on whatever you burn with exercise.

Good luck!

OP this ^^^ is a good reply for you.
  • schmenge55
    Options
    Oh I also said my activity level is non existent. I currently do not exercise.

Activity does not have to be exercise. From your pic you are a mom so I guarantee you have some activity. :).
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you exercise you "win" extra calories. Changing weight loss to .5 lbs will get you only 50 extra calories so it's not a solution. My limit is also 1200 calories but I eat 100-150 more because I move my butt around (my profile should be open). At the same time I burn from 400-600 calories per day sometimes even more.
    One solution is switching to mainteinance mode which is probably still less than your average daily intake. But don't expect to loose wight in short time.