what is wrong with me

Options
Im 34 male 5 foot 11 ...235 lbs. I was super fat at the beginning of this year at 300 now im just regular obese. In my mid to late teens i trained 21 hours a week on average for years. Then i stopped got fat and addicted to food and prescription pills...i also have ocd and was depressed for more than decade.
I was suicidal christmas 2015. Then i saw a new dr and he put me on a new medication and things just started getting better.
Im finding it really hard to excercise less than 2 hours a day everyday given the benefits it has had for me. My diet is high in protein and my calories are at 2700.
I know this amount of excercise is detrimental to my goal of being ripped but given the choice of going back to the life i had or doing what im doing now id choose this any day of the week. Plus i used to train WAY more so its not that difficult for me now....
Not sure what to do...wtf is wrong with me?

Replies

• pfreeme
    pfreeme Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Im a bit confused. Sounds to me your doing all the right things. Huge improvement and your living a healthier lifestyle. Keep up the good work!
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well from what im told im not eating enough and or excercising too much to lose fat and gain muscle given my tdee is about 2300 calories if i was sedetary. Its just a huge psychological hurdle for me to eat more because that is what i did for so long
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do not listen to anyone who says that eating too little will prevent you from losing fat and exercising too much can prevent you from gaining muscle :s
    If you exercise because you love it and not because of OCD, just continue, and enjoy it!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Well from what im told im not eating enough and or excercising too much to lose fat and gain muscle given my tdee is about 2300 calories if i was sedetary. Its just a huge psychological hurdle for me to eat more because that is what i did for so long

Who said you aren't eating enough? You said you're eating 2600-2800 calories and exercising 2.5 hours a day. I said that's an atypical calorie level for weight loss and that you're trying to out exercise a bad diet.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Don't see any issues with it as long as you're seeing results. It's not like you're eating too little from what you've said. Who has told you that you're not eating enough/exercising too much?
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The typical max in calories should be about 2000 calories . I would talk with a nutritionist and with a personal trainer . Keep up the good work. Weight loss is a journey not a quick fix. Hope that thin gs improve for you

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    With your history, I think this is a question for your professional medical team.
    It sounds to me as though you are eating just fine, but if you can't let up on exercise and have a diagnosed history of OCD, then I think it would be worth having a chat with your new doctor.
  • derek1237654
    Options
    Somehow i mysteriously lost 4 pounds overnight while wearing the same cloths and not having a bowel movement. Ill take it
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The typical max in calories should be about 2000 calories.

Says who? I have some days where I am able to eat a bit above 2,000 calories and still be in a 1,000 calorie deficit.

OP, are you losing weight with your current activity levels and intake? Does your average after several weeks line up with your expected loss?

Also, aim for no more than 1% of your weight per week. Your body only has so much fat to feed it.
    I know that hanging on to as much lean mass as you can while losing means enough protein and the right size deficit along with your lifting.

• derek1237654
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Who said you aren't eating enough? You said you're eating 2600-2800 calories and exercising 2.5 hours a day. I said that's an atypical calorie level for weight loss and that you're trying to out exercise a bad diet.

Well i wouldnt say my diet is bad ...it i think is pretty good...im not saying its perfect but i think im eating at about the right number of calories for weight loss given my activity level which is extremely high. And my weight has gone down since i posted 4 lbs exactly. Since my energy levels are great and the fact that ive lost 67 pounds in a little over 4 months must mean im doing something right. Im not excercising away a bad diet im eating well and excercising excessively which i enjoy.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The typical max in calories should be about 2000 calories . I would talk with a nutritionist and with a personal trainer . Keep up the good work. Weight loss is a journey not a quick fix. Hope that thin gs improve for you

That doesn't make sense at all. An active male of his size is going to need more than 2000 calories to only lose a couple pounds a week, Maybe even more than 3000.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    67lbs÷16 weeks= 4 lbs a week weight loss. Looks like that's what you're averaging. Maybe someone else could tell you if that's a healthy rate of weight loss.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, you might benefit from a weight trending app like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (android, I think). Many people fluctuate 1-5 pounds daily bases on water retention, hormones, food eaten, exercise, etc.

It'll help you understand how your body works and will show you the overall trend, the big picture and help you take a step back from the scale. Weight loss isn't linear, but a weight trending program can help you know you're headed in the right direction overall.

Congrats on the progress so far! :smiley:
  • ChelseaHeights
    ChelseaHeights Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, don't be so hard on yourself! You sound like you're doing great! If exercise makes you feel better go for it. I know the ice makes it hard but try not to overthink it. There's no rules to your happiness.