guilt trip

Options
bspikes86
bspikes86 Posts: 61 Member
I cant help but feel guilty about eating back my burned calories. I understand the math of mfp. But when I see that i consumed 2, 000 alories I feel terrible and think "how can I lose weight eating that much?".

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    But that is what they are there for if you use the MFP method, if you do not want to eat back exercise calories I suggest you figure out your true TDEE and then eat a 20% deficit from that and do not eat back exercise calories since they will be figured in.

Read this and learn some more about how all this works.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Remove guilt from the equation. This is about diet and food, not religion.

Besides, if you have completed your calculations correctly then there is no reason to worry.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I typically don't eat back my calories burned. Instead, I calculated my TDEE and eat those calories (they include the calories I burn with workout in my TDEE). I enter 1 calorie burned for my workouts purely to keep track of my workouts.

This way, I don't have to go up and down on my calories and it gives me a nice and neat target for daily intake. Maybe this can be useful to you too.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I think your instincts are correct.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I do not think the food will hold it against you if you eat it.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

Guilt and logic aren't 'instinct'. I have lost on 2400kcal, however illogical that may seem.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you are working out, and calculating your exercise burns using a hrm, Op, then there is no reason to feel guilt.
    Also, I suggest ignoring the 98 Ib troll who suggested your instincts are correct, and follow the general consensus. I lose weight eating 2000 calories, because I am very active, the same way plenty of others on here have lost weight eating 1800-2000, because they are very active or weight train.
    If you would be more comfortable eating the same amount daily, then just find your TDEE(which figures in your overall activity) and take off 15-20%.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Guilt and logic aren't 'instinct'. I have lost on 2400kcal, however illogical that may seem.

^this
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you are working out, and calculating your exercise burns using a hrm, Op, then there is no reason to feel guilt.
    Also, I suggest ignoring the 98 Ib troll who suggested your instincts are correct, and follow the general consensus. I lose weight eating 2000 calories, because I am very active, the same way plenty of others on here have lost weight eating 1800-2000, because they are very active or weight train.
    If you would be more comfortable eating the same amount daily, then just find your TDEE(which figures in your overall activity) and take off 15-20%.

^This. And what BeachIron said too.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

lol

NO.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Remove guilt from the equation. This is about diet and food, not religion.

Besides, if you have completed your calculations correctly then there is no reason to worry.

Exactly.

I use TDEE but eat 2100 calories a day and lost 3 lbs (not on purpose) last week.

Food is fuel. Don't feel guilty about fueling your body.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I lose at 3,000 calories a day, you are greatly mistaken.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

No. Just no.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    But the calories you earn through exercise are the tasty ones!

By your "logic" I should feel 1.5 times as guilty as you as I've eaten over 3,000 calories today. As I'm still in deficit for the day I'm more likely to feel proud that I've burned a whole stack of calories by hard work rather than sitting on my backside watching TV.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

This. Please do not entangle yourself in thinking one must feel guilty in order to lose weight. This is a fitness site, not a self-flagellation one.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Not everyone has a goal of weighing 98 pounds.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I cant help but feel guilty about eating back my burned calories. I understand the math of mfp. But when I see that i consumed 2, 000 alories I feel terrible and think "how can I lose weight eating that much?".

How about you lose the guilt, and stop looking at anything but net calories. That should solve the problem.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

This. Please do not entangle yourself in thinking one must feel guilty in order to lose weight. This is a fitness site, not a self-flagellation one.

Wait, what? I was sorely misinformed.

1.gif
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    hmm. I'm only 5 ft tall and can lose on 1800. So no I don't feel guilty. Neither should you.

You need to fuel your workouts. And your hair, skin, nails, and organs are pretty important to maintain too ya know.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    hmm. I'm only 5 ft tall and can lose on 1800. So no I don't feel guilty. Neither should you.

You need to fuel your workouts. And your hair, skin, nails, and organs are pretty important to maintain too ya know.

At 5' you should be eating 1200 calories per day or you will get bulky