How much weight gain after eating over maintenance for one day?

Options
Hi everyone! I've been doing a great job of eating at my goal calories every day with no difficulties, losing weight every week of my journey so far.

Yesterday I went in for surgery but I had my meals planned as though I usually would, however my surgery ended up being delayed by several hours, causing me to get hungry on the ward, and with only higher calorie options available to me I had to take one. I didn't beat myself up about it because I don't have cheat days or any thing and what difference was this one meal going to make?! So I went in for my surgery and when I came out my blood pressure dropped and the nurses asked me to eat again, it was around 10pm at this point and all they had left was boxed sandwiches so that is what I had. Anyways. It's the next morning now and out of curiosity I weighed myself to see the impact all those extra calories had. I have gained a pound since my last weigh-in which was last Sunday, and was expecting to lose at least one pound this week, I'm usually closer to 2 pounds a week.

Could this gain be a temporary gain from going over maintenance yesterday? I was 59.20kg last Sunday and when I weighed this morning I was 59.70kg. Should I just skip this Sunday's weigh-in and carry on next Sunday as normal? This is the first time I've seen a gain on the scales and I didn't think it would bother me but I must admit I do feel a bit disappointed!

Also, the surgeon recommended I stay out of the gym for at least 2 weeks before starting cardio again, and possibly longer before weight lifting again. Should I go back to 1200 calories a day during this time? I have been eating 1500.

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    One day over maintenance will make very little difference, i wouldn't worry about it!
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You probably won't see any gain. I deviate up or down on maintenance a lot. I just balance out the 300 calories over day and 150 under the next 2 days. It should balance out with your base energy use. The body burns calories differently on a daily basis anyways, because your activities change daily.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    I have been in maitenance for 2 years - some days I eat over, some days I eat under. But I average out to around my correct maitenance calories.

One day will not matter unless it is a huge binge. Certainly not just an extra boxed sandwich.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that some, if not all, of your gain is your body retaining water to help you recover from your surgery. I'd go *up* to maintenance over the two weeks that your doctor has advised to rest, to help your body repair itself. You know you can sustainably lose when you go back to a deficit, so don't panic - what's the rush?
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I put on 1.5lbs of water from a sandwich dinner the other day. All gone now. Don't worry.
  • AnnaBeach7
    AnnaBeach7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The extra weight was probably due to the fluids given during surgery or your body healing, etc. Stay on track and it will come right off in a few days max.
  • rfgtv34
    rfgtv34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's the day after surgery, getting well should be your priority right now, your body needs extra calories to heal so that little bit of weight gain will disappear. Hope your recovery goes well