Am I tricking my HRM?

Options
I wanted to shake things up a bit with my workouts, and decided to play some basketball today. Not a official game, rather just solo play. If I shot, and missed, I would run to the opposite basket and take a shot. If I made it, I'd take more shots at that hoop till I missed. (I am terrible at this sport lol)

I only did this for like 15 minutes. I was shocked to read my results on the ft7 watch. It said something like 224!!!!

Is all the starting, stopping messing with it?

Recently, I readjusted it as I felt the strap was getting loose :-), its a Weebit tighter now than in the past, could that have effect?

Idk... I just checked my weekly log and it had me burning something like 4500 calories this week with 6 days at the gym, around an hour each trip...

Just thinking that doesn't sound right?

Replies

• janinealfke
    Options
    I don't know if the stopping starting changes the calories you burn. I would think that the app allows for that if you listed your exercise as basketball....I do water exercise daily and I have to stop when I get to the wall, and the water is deep enough that it takes me a bit to get my momentum going again in the other direction. I count it as constant motion, and think I would too with basketball.....if that's what you list it as, then it should account for the stopping and starting. Way to get moving....I just started 2 weeks ago with the exercise myself. Have been too overweight for 25 years to do anything until recently. You can do it. Keep working at it and count every second this app will give you!! lol...best of luck!

Janine Alfke
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I imagine it's a bit like doing shuttle runs, which in my experience are evil!!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you input your weight into your monitor it sounds accurate. Remember, a 250 lb whale is going to burn more in an hour than a 120 lb minnow doing the same thing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    I don't have any real understanding, but from what I've seen on the forums, HRM's are bad at estimating burns that are not steady state cardio. This includes strength training, and interval training.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I have no idea.

But, there's a community center with an open basketball court with my name on it to try this fun exercise on the days that I can't get my living room to myself. Thanks for the tip!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If your HR was significantly elevated during that whole time it's probably accurate. Compare that burn to other things you do and see if it seems in line.
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you input your weight into your monitor it sounds accurate. Remember, a 250 lb whale is going to burn more in an hour than a 120 lb minnow doing the same thing.

um... Imma 250lbs minnow :-)
  • mrloserpunk
    mrloserpunk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have no idea.

But, there's a community center with an open basketball court with my name on it to try this fun exercise on the days that I can't get my living room to myself. Thanks for the tip!

It really was pretty fun..... Sinking a shot felt like a home run towards the end. I suspect this will become a normal activity. Specially as I'm trying to "shake things up"