Sweet potato recipes?

Options
gp246
gp246 Posts: 11 Member
Good recipes for sweet potato or how to make the sweet potato chips come out crispy? Every time i make them there soft in the middle and burnt on the outside lol

Replies

• magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Its really nice with tuna, or as a stuffed potato- add cheese, peas, sour cream, bacon/ham and onion. Or healthier alternatives.
  • gp246
    Options
    Yea never thought of that it actually sounds really good, I tryed doing a baked one before too but it didn't turn out right either, they don't seem to cook the same as normal potatoes
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    No help on the chips - but this is my favorite thing to do with sweet potatoes: Roast whole in oven or microwave, mash with fat of choice (butter, olive oil or coconut oil are my favs), lime juice, lime zest, salt and cayenne to taste. I make a big batch every week and freeze in individual servings for lunch most days.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    gp246 wrote: »
    Yea never thought of that it actually sounds really good, I tryed doing a baked one before too but it didn't turn out right either, they don't seem to cook the same as normal potatoes

I guess you have to learn the right amount of time to put them in the microwave. I always give them about 30 seconds longer than I think they will need. A small one gets about 3 minutes, a medium one gets 6 and a large one gets about 8. It depends on my mood.

There are other ways of cooking sweet potato. You can boil them or cook them in the oven.

I don't think they need to be cooked quite as long as potatoes. Not sure why.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I like baked sweet potatoes. Sweet potato and black bean empanadas are good, but a bit more work than I've wanted to put into cooking lately. Soy dijon chicken thighs with sweet potatoes are much less labor intensive and also very good. I want to try sweet potato corn cakes and a slowcooker version of this lentil, sausage, and sweet potato soup.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    I have this really nice chicken curry recipe that has sweet potatoes in it, I'll see if I can get a copy for you. I don't know if its particularly healthy though.
  • gp246
    Options
    They all sound pretty tasty, alot better than burnt chips anyway lol I always have coconut oil in the cupboard so must try the roast ones with it
  • gp246
    Options
    I have this really nice chicken curry recipe that has sweet potatoes in it, I'll see if I can get a copy for you. I don't know if its particularly healthy though.

Yea thanks will be much appreciated, the more recipes the better
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    TheLittleRedHairedGirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I tried this and liked it: http://skinnyms.com/sweet-potato-and-turkey-skillet-recipe/ The trick is to dice the sweet potato really small or it will be too firm (crunchy). I usually just scrub the skin under cold water, prick all over with a knife and microwave it for about 5 min, flip it over and do another 5 min. I add butter spray, like Olivo or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and add garlic salt or sometimes just cinnamon.

As for the chips, I use a mandolin and slice them almost paper thin, use an oil sprayer, like Misto, with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on my seasonings. This is a good recipe to try: http://minimalistbaker.com/baked-sweet-potato-chips/ She's right, you need to have them very thin and turn them once, in a low oven for quite a while. Let them rest to finish crisping up and you should have good results.

I hope this helps!
  • gp246
    Options
    I tried this and liked it: http://skinnyms.com/sweet-potato-and-turkey-skillet-recipe/ The trick is to dice the sweet potato really small or it will be too firm (crunchy). I usually just scrub the skin under cold water, prick all over with a knife and microwave it for about 5 min, flip it over and do another 5 min. I add butter spray, like Olivo or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and add garlic salt or sometimes just cinnamon.

As for the chips, I use a mandolin and slice them almost paper thin, use an oil sprayer, like Misto, with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on my seasonings. This is a good recipe to try: http://minimalistbaker.com/baked-sweet-potato-chips/ She's right, you need to have them very thin and turn them once, in a low oven for quite a while. Let them rest to finish crisping up and you should have good results.

I hope this helps!

I think that was my problem I was leaving them to thick and maybe to high of a heat in the oven which was just cooking the outside really, thanks il give that a try cause there quite a nice food when cooked properly
  • magicpickles
    Options
    I forgot to mention pricking the potatoes lol. I'm not sure if its important, but its something I do every time.
  • gp246
    Options
    I forgot to mention pricking the potatoes lol. I'm not sure if its important, but its something I do every time.

Makes sense, I just fired them on in and hoped for the best lol Not a great cook as you can probably tell
  • magicpickles
    Options

Makes sense, I just fired them on in and hoped for the best lol Not a great cook as you can probably tell

I can only cook about 6 different things, I feel your pain!
  • magicpickles
    Options

It had chickpeas, kumara, coconut milk, tinned tomatoes and chicken among other things. Maybe you will figure it out yourself? lol haha. No, I will have to look it up.
  • gp246
    Options

It had chickpeas, kumara, coconut milk, tinned tomatoes and chicken among other things. Maybe you will figure it out yourself? lol haha. No, I will have to look it up.

Beans on toast is to many ingredients for me to remember on my own without help so I can't see myself figuring that one out lol. Thank you
  • magicpickles
    Options

Beans on toast is to many ingredients for me to remember on my own without help so I can't see myself figuring that one out lol. Thank you

Dementia?
  • gp246
    Options
    Just terrible when it comes to cooking
  • vtman61008
    vtman61008 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good recipes for sweet potato or how to make the sweet potato chips come out crispy? Every time i make them there soft in the middle and burnt on the outside lol

Try dusting in corn starch. Rinse, shake excess, toss in a bag with corn starch, then bake. Makes tofu crispy too!
  • gp246
    Options
    vtman61008 wrote: »

Try dusting in corn starch. Rinse, shake excess, toss in a bag with corn starch, then bake. Makes tofu crispy too!
    vtman61008 wrote: »

Would you find that in most grocery shops? Probably a stupid question lol but I've never come across it before to my knowledge.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    ashedge wrote: »
    2b4e3uu9wgh9.jpeg