underactive thyroid

hi all i am so disappointed i have started to put weight on again as my thyroid level was out ....have had my levo upped but finding it hard to stay motivated cause of the weight ....just need some support to keep me going

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Sorry to read of your situation it catches so many of us. From my reading some 16% of us on levo do not thrive. It seems many can have a difficulty converting t4, levo to t3 the active form of thyroid hormone because of a gene issue. Thyroid UK say there is a simple genetic test which can help people discover if they have this variation. Stop they thyroid madness a web site may have something about this for anyone in the US. Most people are unable to have a prescription for anything other than the synthetic t4 in any of its forms.

All the best. (there is a hyperthyroid and hyperthyroid group on here).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    This is from someone who does not have a thyroid and have been blaming that on my weight gain.

You can lose weight, it is a lot harder. You need to watch your calories (logging everything you put in your mouth), exercise every day (whether just for 30 minutes, you have to move), make sure your medication dosage is correct and also have your Vitamin D levels checked.

There are certain things I do not eat: like soy, white flour, processed food, freshwater fish to name a few. I do eat cereal, but not every day. I gave up eating meat/chicken, but that had nothing to do with my thyroid, it was a personal decision.

Learn to read food labels when shopping, this is very important. Have a look at my diary its open.

What I find work for me it calorie cycling (eating different calories daily).
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Hang in there until you find the right new dosage! You know it will start to come off again once your levels are stable :). This is just a bump in the road and definitely not your fault!
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    I also have had hypothyroidism since I was a teen. The best thing a doctor ever advised me on my weight gain was:
    "Yes, it does slow the metabolism down, but the only way you actually get fat is what you put in your mouth", and its true. Its helped me not to use it as an excuse not to lose weight thru the years. So we have to make sure to weigh, track, and stay within our calories. So it is doable, but the progress is sometimes slower. We just don't have the luxury of any play room some folks do on their diets. Make sure your levels are checked regularly. It does help to be on the correct dose. I just had to have my meds increased also. Don't give up or give in, you can do this!!!
  • KrissaJane92
    KrissaJane92 Posts: 33 Member
    I have thyroid problems as well and I lost 70 pounds but gained 12 back (due to my own fault). It took me since April 2015 to lose that much weight. But it IS doable. Do NOT give up, it IS possible to lose weight, it just takes some time.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Usually takes about a week ot two after having levo increased before you start feeling better, once your levels are up you'll feel more positive and able to do this. Just take care and don't be too harsh on yourself.
  • Zofar
    Zofar Posts: 1 Member
    Ive got an underactive thyroid too that fluctuates. Consistent good eating & regular exercise is key for me. Even though my thyroid fluctuayes my weight doesnt.