Effective Fat Loss Training

Options
Isn't effective fat loss training supposed to include both a mixture of cardio and resistance training in each workout like 30 minutes of full body training and then 15 minutes of cardio? When I search for workout programs they say things like do full body training on Monday Wednesday and Friday and cardio on Tuesday and Thursday. Is that how it's supposed to be? Am I supposed to do full body resistance training and no cardio on those days and then only do cardio but no full body training on those days?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Fat loss is accomplished by consuming fewer calories than your body uses during the day. Exercise is great for fitness and can be part of a weight loss plan but isn't required for fat loss.

Any exercise that you enjoy will help, even just walking. There's no required combination.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do progressive load strength training to minimize loss of lean body mass while at caloric deficit. That way your weight loss is mainly fat loss. Cardio gives you more calories to eat and boosts heart fitness.

But the only you need to lose weight is less calories in than out.
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just cardio can burn muscle too so incorporate strength training.
    Plus it leans you out.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You loose weight by burning more calories than you intake. You need to find your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Then base your daily calorie intake off of that. Something MFP will calculate for you depending on your goals. IE: 1 lb. per week. You need to eat at a 500 calorie deficit per day to loose 1 lb. per week. That is without exercise. Cardio is for heart health and for building aerobic capacity. Weight training is for muscle strength and muscle endurance, and builds your anaerobic capacity. Weight training will also shape your physique and help reverse muscle loss when eating in a deficit. Also, the more lean mass you have, the more efficiently your body will burn fat. I personally hate doind cardio. So I do circuit training, or heavy bag training.