Cups/grams/servings of vegetables

Options
I know what constitutes a serving of vegetables varies depending on the source. A ½ cup of vegetables is often regarded as a serving, while 80-85g is also regarded as a serving. But I think that in some cases it gets tricky. For instance, some frozen vegetables will list 1 cup as a serving, but that 1 cup is also listed as 80-85g. In that example, is it fair to say that a real serving of vegetables is exactly that, and that due to reductions in volume once cooked that really only counts as ½ cup (considering weight-wise it would be in line with the ~3oz guide)?

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    For most vegetables it doesn't matter if they're raw or cooked (besides leafy greens) but the guidelines will usually specify raw, cooked or both. You can read more here: choosemyplate.gov/vegetables
    What counts as a cup of vegetables?

In general, 1 cup of raw or cooked vegetables or vegetable juice, or 2 cups of raw leafy greens can be considered as 1 cup from the Vegetable Group. The table below lists specific amounts that count as 1 cup of vegetables (in some cases equivalents for ½ cup are also shown) towards your recommended intake.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For most vegetables it doesn't matter if they're raw or cooked (besides leafy greens) but the guidelines will usually specify raw, cooked or both. You can read more here: choosemyplate.gov/vegetables

In general, 1 cup of raw or cooked vegetables or vegetable juice, or 2 cups of raw leafy greens can be considered as 1 cup from the Vegetable Group. The table below lists specific amounts that count as 1 cup of vegetables (in some cases equivalents for ½ cup are also shown) towards your recommended intake.
    Ok. I guess why question is more so dealing with frozen vegetables, since those have extra water. I just thought it seemed like 1 cup of frozen vegetables is too small to be considered 2 servings, especially considering the weight.

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Which is why I just go by weight.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The calorie difference is small, why bother.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Ok. I guess why question is more so dealing with frozen vegetables, since those have extra water. I just thought it seemed like 1 cup of frozen vegetables is too small to be considered 2 servings, especially considering the weight.

Frozen vegetables use raw vegetable weights, IME. For example a 340g bag of frozen broccoli is almost exactly the same as 340g of raw broccoli - 113 calories vs 116 calories.

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    The calorie difference is small, why bother.
    The confusion for me revolves around recommendations for how much I should be eating. If I were to consider 1 cup (~3 oz) of frozen vegetables as 2 servings of vegetables, then supposedly from a serving perspective that is the same as eating 2 medium carrots, even though the 2 carrots would be twice as much volume weight-wise. I guess I may be overthinking it, but in trying to assess where I stand consumption-wise with recommendations I'm getting confused.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned with what is considered a serving, or how much you're getting, always go by weight. Take that as 85g is a serving, no matter if it works out to a cup or half cup or something else.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    If you are concerned with what is considered a serving, or how much you're getting, always go by weight. Take that as 85g is a serving, no matter if it works out to a cup or half cup or something else.
    Thanks.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The serving recommendations are guidelines and should be treated as such.

If you are concerned with accuracy, don't use random and fussy entities like servings. Go by weight.

If you just want to "count" the vegetables you eat, let "any amount that you decide to constitute a serving" be one portion.