What motivates you to get off your butt?

Options
I need some advice for when I just don't feel like working out! TIA :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Just do it anyway! I always feel better afterwards!
  • willburpeeforcookie
    willburpeeforcookie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do y'all plan your workouts ahead of time?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I exercise almost daily, no planning at all. It is just something I do.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Since I attend the gym for various classes, I book them a week in advance. I do the same mixture of classes each week.

Knowing it is booked I know exactly what time I need to be at the gym. There is no 'i'll go to the gym in ten minutes' aa I HAVE to leave by a certain time to make the class.

This is from someone who at the start of the year was a couch potato. I now go to the gym six days a week, for 11 classes in total. I'm at the gym on Saturdays from 9:15am - 12pm. I never would have got up that early for anything on a weekend, let alone to punish myself with a workout.

It's just become natural to me now to go. Initially it was hard, but just going the first few times made me realise how much I loved it. Maybe joining classes may be a motivator for you too?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The thing that motivates me to get off my butt is the size of my butt. :smiley:
    But really, I find if I just tell myself "Five minutes. Get up and go walk for five minutes"... I'll end up doing 30 minutes or more. If I tell myself, "Go to the pool, if it's crazy busy, you don't have to stay", I almost always end up in the water for at least 45 minutes.
    And as I get more fit, I find my body craves activity. It's been raining this week, so I haven't been walking at the lake, and my body is rebelling!
  • Allanro
    Allanro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Stick on some Toxicity to get you in the mood :)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I was waking up every morning saying I didn't want to go to the gym. But every night I laid out my gym clothes on top of my dresser, packed my gym bag, and made myself put those clothes on and go, period. Right now I'm on bed rest because I had surgery, and I cannot wait to get back to the gym. That's after a month of going M-F. I can't tell you why, but I want to go back so badly.

I may go right back to my old pattern of not wanting to go, and I know I will still go, because it is the best thing for me to do. It is an act of self love and self care. It is defying the laziness that resulted in my getting this fat in the first place. It's like controlling your food here. You need to make a decision every day to do what's best for you and simply do it. This is not easy in general...weight loss is a lot of hard work and self discipline. But making the decision is. We make decisions every day.

You can only motivate yourself.
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I try to go at least 3 times a week,when I dont it seems like my energy levels decrease.My motivation is watching my stomach shrink and my blood sugar levels becoming normal
  • KristyBlack
    KristyBlack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit challenges I participate in definitely motivate me to move more. Also, when its time for me to go to the gym, if I'm not up to it, I force myself to get in the car and drive there anyway. I tend to notice, that once I'm there and I see other's around me working, it motivates me to just do it and by the time I'm done I feel great and I'm glad I went.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    I have found activities that seem like play.
    Who doesn't want to play?
    Some times I don't want to go to work but my employer would frown upon me if I did not go to work. I don't spend time deciding wether I will go to work or any of the other inevitabilities of life.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Getting my step goal on my fitbit :)
  • thefortressofsolitude
    thefortressofsolitude Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keep track of your blood sugars, cholesterol, resting heart rate and blood pressure. Keep a fitness routine and you can always refer to the reports as motivation.
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I hop on Pinterest and look at fitness motivation. Then I take my preworkout and I'm too amped to back out
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    kquick316 wrote: »
    I need some advice for when I just don't feel like working out! TIA :)

Boredom
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Knowing that if I don't get off my butt, I'll slip back to where I was a few months ago, achy, out of breath, and borderline obese. I can't do that anymore, I'm getting too old plus I got rid of all my big clothes. And on my 4 month anniversary I posted to Facebook my before & after pics for the world to see. I did that so now I really have some serious accountability.
  • willburpeeforcookie
    willburpeeforcookie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Knowing that if I don't get off my butt, I'll slip back to where I was a few months ago, achy, out of breath, and borderline obese. I can't do that anymore, I'm getting too old plus I got rid of all my big clothes. And on my 4 month anniversary I posted to Facebook my before & after pics for the world to see. I did that so now I really have some serious accountability.

That's awesome!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Mediocrity scares me.

So.therefore I strive for more.

Yeah mediocrity sucks *kitten*.