Cardio?!

Options
Hey guys, so although I'm cutting weight right now, I felt this would be appropriate in this section as I think most of us on here have the same goals, get big and lean, look muscular, right? Those who have experience "cutting" as they call it, obviously cardio is part of this, does anyone have a good cardio routine that complements a weight lifting routine well? I started out just bulking and didn't do ANY cardio so I'm new to this part of my training. I read that sprints were good, but I tried this and it's very challenging so far. Maybe I should just keep trying and not give up lol. I'm very deconditioned when it comes to endurance and stamina. Any advice is helpful, thanks!

Replies

• Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Honestly, I tend to go against the grain a lot, I'm not completely into group activities. I used the stair stepper a lot, not the one that works in the same manner as an escalator, the other kind lol.

Stair stepper is good and will help strengthen your legs if you increase resistance.

But back to what I was originally saying lol, Spin classes are pretty awesome. If you follow direction from the instructor, and actually adjust the resistance, its a pretty tough workout. Tough enough to where if strength training is your goal, I would not advise doing it prior to strength training or on days where your calorie intake is near maintenance. You will definitely be at a deficit. But it is a great workout, and you can also strengthen legs significantly.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Alright thanks! Right now, I just want to do cardio on days that I'm not lifting
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just follow online videos or hiit programs like insanity or stuff like that.. but I do plan on getting into cycling.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    What cardio do you like? Like anything, the best program is one that you can stick to. I personally dislike gym based cardio, so I'll either do a class (I'm doing "bootcamp" a couple of days a week currently) or I'll go for a run in the forest. I feel I should be better at middle distance running, so when I run, I'll do 1-2 miles.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Any cardio.

Whatever suits your fancy.
    I do the circuit kick box class at my gym when I can make it. And I"m a big fan of the stairmaster- it sucks- but I just set up my phone and watch Futurama for however long I need to.

If I can get off my *kitten* and go run I will.

Really I work 4-5 jobs- and I dance 10-15 hrs a week and my lifting takes 1.5-2 hrs a pop 3x a week.

ANY cardio I can squeeze in is good cardio- if that means doing burpees in my dun-daduns in my kitchen- then so be it.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I had considered developing my own cardio programme, which I would then attempt to sell to the public called "come and work your *kitten* off on my farm".... But I think they might see through the obvious ruse....
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Alright thanks! Right now, I just want to do cardio on days that I'm not lifting

Could always grab a kettlebell and do 30 minutes of Russian Swings. That's cardio that will knock you on your butt. Might throw off some of your lifts the next day, 'tho.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ride bikes.