I NEED HELP

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Wow I guess I must be a real scientific marvel.

Aggressive comments stymie constructive conversation.

I learned years ago that simple carbs pack pounds onto my frame. Fat from real foods help keep my RA in check. My body can metabolize protein from many plant based foods. Personally, the meat I have an appetite for is fish, crispy poultry skin and stock, stews full marrow from a variety of mammals--but apart from fish, this flesh of mammals is like pasta to me: all texture without flavor absent the marinades and spices with which they are cooked. This is just my individual idiosynchrasy and not a statement on the grassfed-know your butcher quality meat my husband and I purchase.

...so Yes, I believe that the MFP contributor in question can find a diet rich in animal products that fits him just right. Also, I have read enough scientific literature to know that a calorie is not just a calories when sugar carbs are involved

I don't agree with you that sarcasm = aggressive. And even if it is, I disagree that constructive conversation is stymied by aggressive comments.

I also don't discount that many people benefit from low-carb diets. But I don't think that they are necessary for weight loss barring medical conditions. I can take your experience and contrast it with my own, which is that I have not cut carbs at all and it hasn't stalled my progress in the slightest. And more to the point, I don't believe that low-carbing negates the energy balance equation.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disappoint a lot of folks on the MFP site because you won't lose weight by counting calories or by exercising more. Exercise tones the muscle and stimulates the appetite which will drive you to increase your intake of calories. consequently, you cannot use 'exercise' to 'burn calories'. It's just a myth and countless studies have shown that although the popular press continues to promote the idea that you can 'burn off' excess calories. you can't.

additionally, you won't lose weight by restricting your caloric intake. that is also a myth. as you restrict calories you 'signal' your body's chemistry that 'food is scarce' and by so doing your metabolism tends to slow down and burn fewer calories, i.e. your body conserves energy.

the weight that you are trying to lose is your excess 'fat'. You're not trying to lose excess muscle or bone. Fat tissue, all fat tissue, is created by the hormone insulin. the more insulin floating around your system, the more of that hormone is available to 'convert' nutrients to adipose (i.e. 'fat') tissue. so if you limit the amount of insulin available in your bloodstream, you limit the opportunity for your body to build and store fat.

Appreciate that ALL of your fat tissue is 'dynamic' in your body. your body makes a decision every day whether to conserve or consume ALL of the fat tissue in your body. the fat tissue in your body is not 'inert' or 'inactive'. It's every bit as vital in your system as your muscles, blood and bone. It is ACTIVE tissue, actively managed by your body's complex chemistry.

Since carbohydrates stimulate the release of insulin by the pancreas, reducing carbohydrates CHANGES the signals to your body over whether to store or burn fat tissue. Carbohydrates are unique in the body's chemistry in this respect. This is the basis of all low carbohydrate diet plans. The carbohydrates stimulate the pancreas to release insulin. insulin 'stores' fat tissue (it is the ONLY hormone in your body that does this) and signals the LIVER to shut down the production of glycogen.

So shift your MFP guidelines to 'custom' and program your carbohydrate count in grams today to a level that is a reduction from whatever it is currently set at. you can safely move to 100 grams a day or less. I'm under 50 grams per day and have been for over a year.

Educate yourself on this system and it's safety by reading 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes or visiting
    'http://www.perfecthumandiet.us/

Good luck, you're going to be fine.

Well, guess what? Over a million people around the world used the theory your calling, " wrong " and they all succeeded...Some people are just silly.
    This ....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disappoint a lot of folks on the MFP site because you won't lose weight by counting calories or by exercising more. Exercise tones the muscle and stimulates the appetite which will drive you to increase your intake of calories. consequently, you cannot use 'exercise' to 'burn calories'. It's just a myth and countless studies have shown that although the popular press continues to promote the idea that you can 'burn off' excess calories. you can't.

additionally, you won't lose weight by restricting your caloric intake. that is also a myth. as you restrict calories you 'signal' your body's chemistry that 'food is scarce' and by so doing your metabolism tends to slow down and burn fewer calories, i.e. your body conserves energy.

the weight that you are trying to lose is your excess 'fat'. You're not trying to lose excess muscle or bone. Fat tissue, all fat tissue, is created by the hormone insulin. the more insulin floating around your system, the more of that hormone is available to 'convert' nutrients to adipose (i.e. 'fat') tissue. so if you limit the amount of insulin available in your bloodstream, you limit the opportunity for your body to build and store fat.

Appreciate that ALL of your fat tissue is 'dynamic' in your body. your body makes a decision every day whether to conserve or consume ALL of the fat tissue in your body. the fat tissue in your body is not 'inert' or 'inactive'. It's every bit as vital in your system as your muscles, blood and bone. It is ACTIVE tissue, actively managed by your body's complex chemistry.

Since carbohydrates stimulate the release of insulin by the pancreas, reducing carbohydrates CHANGES the signals to your body over whether to store or burn fat tissue. Carbohydrates are unique in the body's chemistry in this respect. This is the basis of all low carbohydrate diet plans. The carbohydrates stimulate the pancreas to release insulin. insulin 'stores' fat tissue (it is the ONLY hormone in your body that does this) and signals the LIVER to shut down the production of glycogen.

So shift your MFP guidelines to 'custom' and program your carbohydrate count in grams today to a level that is a reduction from whatever it is currently set at. you can safely move to 100 grams a day or less. I'm under 50 grams per day and have been for over a year.

Educate yourself on this system and it's safety by reading 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' by Gary Taubes or visiting

:noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: weight loss is not linear and gets impacted by water weight fluctuations that hide the 'real' losses. In any event, with the amount of weight you have to lose, 1 - 1 1/2 lbs a week is a reasonable pace. Be patient.
  • xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How do I recalculate my numbers? The ones I have were just what I started with. I'm not familiar with adjusting things on this site.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How do I recalculate my numbers? The ones I have were just what I started with. I'm not familiar with adjusting things on this site.

Go back to your My Home tab, click Goals at the top and then choose Guided.

BeachIron makes a good point, your TDEE has dropped since you've lost weight (congrats btw on your losses) so you need to reconfigure anyway.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options

I learned years ago that simple carbs pack pounds onto my frame. Fat from real foods help keep my RA in check. My body can metabolize protein from many plant based foods. Personally, the meat I have an appetite for is fish, crispy poultry skin and stock, stews full marrow from a variety of mammals--but apart from fish, this flesh of mammals is like pasta to me: all texture without flavor absent the marinades and spices with which they are cooked. This is just my individual idiosynchrasy and not a statement on the grassfed-know your butcher quality meat my husband and I purchase.

...so Yes, I believe that the MFP contributor in question can find a diet rich in animal products that fits him just right. Also, I have read enough scientific literature to know that a calorie is not just a calories when sugar carbs are involved

you sound like such a jerk
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

As I started reading this nonsense, I was saying to myself "this kind of lunacy can only mean Gary Taubes". I was not disappointed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

zI36hHw.gif

what in the hell did i just read????

you're not disappointing the folks on MFP, you're disappointing science. and facts. and observed results.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

What I've found is that ridiculous, baseless comments stymie conversation. Because instead of starting from a basis of reality and moving in the right direction, we have to start waaaaaaaaaaaay the hell back in fantasyland, beyond the cuckoo's nest, and past the yellow brick road to even have a meaningful dialog.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

tumblr_lpfg2uDBna1qafrh6.gif
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I lose weight at a pretty decent clip eating around 3500 a day. My problem is that I have trouble staying under 3500 calories. I apologize, but given my personal experience...I don't think I can help someone who thinks 1200 is plenty because I simply cannot relate.

For me, 1200 is plenty for a midmorning snack.
  • gibsonsg45
    Options
    I think the change of jobs might have a bit to do with it, the excersise is down a bit but I do know that sometimes while trying to lose weight it will platteu for a week or 2 I say stick it out and keep doing what you are doing and it will pick up again If yoiu want , increase you protien just a little and add some light walking for 10 or 15 min a day
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

A lot of us are apparently. Oddly enough, I've lost almost 40 lbs using calorie restriction and exercise. I don't think I've had a day in all this weight loss time where I've been under 100 grams of carbs. I think there's only a gram of science in that ton of crap.
  • fuzzball01
    fuzzball01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would try to get in a lil bit of exercise. I have the same problem with an office job. I bought the fitbit ultra and I try very hard to get in over 10,000 steps daily. That's on top of my regular workout. I am on 1370 calories a day. If you need any help please feel free to add. Good luck
  • todan
    todan Posts: 1
    Options
    You are under eating!
  • gibsonsg45
    Options
    I think the change of jobs might have a bit to do with it, the excersise is down a bit but I do know that sometimes while trying to lose weight it will platteu for a week or 2 I say stick it out and keep doing what you are doing and it will pick up again If yoiu want , increase you protien just a little and add some light walking for 10 or 15 min a day
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

A lot of us are apparently. Oddly enough, I've lost almost 40 lbs using calorie restriction and exercise. I don't think I've had a day in all this weight loss time where I've been under 100 grams of carbs. I think there's only a gram of science in that ton of crap.

Hell, I didn't start adding in some exercise until 2 weeks ago...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

So I'm able to hit my weight and fitness goals, while eating between 300-400 grams of carbs daily, through wizardry? Not through calorie counting & exercise? Damn, I'm a bad *kitten* wizard.

BroFistWizard_zps44c5ed68.jpg
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to tell since your food diary is closed. But, I'd wager that you aren't eating enough. Are you keeping track of your macronutrient intake, or just calories?