What should i stick to?

Options
Hello FitnessPal friends...
I'm not sure what im doing wrong hence need help from u folks whose been there..done tat!
I'm a female, 33, 5.4', 213 pounds...wanting to loose at least 50 pounds for starts. Have tried many diff things - Atkins, calorie counting, macro counting but not sure what is the one i've to stick to. I know they say one method doesn't suit all and I'm yet to find the right one. I workout at least 4 times a week and yet when no results get dissapointed. My husband hasn't been talking to me for months now since he sees no weightloss and thinks im not trying hard enough.

Anyone who has worked it out..and can be there to guide me thru to figure out what works for me...i would b greatly obliged.
Also i notice from the body compisition machines my BMR is around 1350. Is tat normal for my height and weight?

Sorry for the long post but thanks again for all ur help

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Around here we call it CICO. That stands for Calories In Calories Out. Calories are the key to your weight changing over time. If you intake more calories than you need, you gain weight. If you intake fewer calories than you need, you lose weight. After you understand that basic fact, you graduate from the beginner class and then move on to learn about macros. They're all good. With that out of the way, you're on to the advanced fitness level, also known as weightlifting. There's a group around here for that. Purchase a digital food scale. Use it. It's easier that way. Much easier.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    By the way, BMR is "Basal Metabolic Rate", which is the amount of calories you need to exist in a coma. You need to pay attention to your TDEE, Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Another web site has a very accurate and useful calculator for that. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What's worked for me has been to eat the foods I like in moderation with about 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% for treats. That way, I don't feel deprived. You don't need a specific plan to lose weight; you need to eat fewer calories than your body uses.

This flowchart has some good advice:

pa9u3uq16xrq.jpg
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I was at your current weight (5'-6") when my doc said I was perilously close to diabetes and should cut out all white carbs. Everybody's body and mind are different from everyone else's, but that really helped me. It meant cutting out my constant snacking on candy, chips and cake, but for some reason it didn't *feel* like a diet. I also paid attention to portion size (a half-cup of rice instead of a big pile; a cup or so of stew instead of a whole big bowl) and the food pyramid. But I wasn't constantly thinking of what my next meal would be, and of what to cook for a specific calorie level.

I lost about 50 pounds over about 18 months, then plateaued. I came here to lose the last 20, which I did by weighing, measuring and logging. I've been maintaining since early November.

Finally, at age 64, I feel as if I've got this weight thing under control. You can do it, too. And you don't have to wait until you're my age. :)

The white carb thing doesn't feel restrictive, because you can still eat bread and pasta and such, just the whole-grain versions. Try that along with weighing and measuring and logging here, and you can probably do better than I did. :)
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'd get rid of 200 pounds of dead weight overnight. Anybody who stops speaking to you because of your success or lack of it doesn't deserve to be a part of your life.

This^^^100%!!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have a *kitten* for a husband. I hope you aren't wanting to lose weight for him, that's bound to bring on a lot of emotions as time goes by and the weight won't stay off permanently. I hope you are doing this for you, for your health and well being. Your husband though....wow....
  • mind2Bfree
    mind2Bfree Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your response...just need some sort of positive reinforcement that it is possible for me to get it thru...have been going thru a lot of negativity and like JanJunie said a whole is tuned to getting it off fast for him - which is depressing too. But have to get it down in my head that it needs to be done for ME & for my lovely little children.
    I'm looking forward to getting that positive energy from the people out here!! :)
  • ontheneedles
    ontheneedles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kids are a great motivator. Since I started eatong better, my kids have been trying the new foods I'm bringing into the house. My daughter asked to have one of my grape tomatoes tonight at dinner. She spat it right back out, but she tried it. And they are a fun way to get exercise. Take a walk to the park or play tag.

The key is to make sustainable changes. Little things you can see yourself doing for the next year or so. More walks, smaller portions. Diets and quick drops in weight are short lived. Once you give up the diet, the weight comes right back. But when you find healthy food you like and can feel satiated, you're more likely to keep the changes.

Love yourself. Praise yourself for making positive changes. And remember, you're worth it!
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sadly if he's not very nice now he won't suddenly get nice because you've jumped through his hoops, he'll just find a different excuse for his behaviour. On the other hand, your childrens love is unconditional. Be the person you want them to grow up and be.

With regards how to lose weight, I just set the numbers into MFP to lose 1lb a week, weighed and logged everything as accurately as I could and made sure I had a little treat everyday. I like big meals so I increased the amount of veg on my plate and decreased the amount of pasta/potatoes/rice. I didn't expect it to work but it did.
  • carolchiz
    carolchiz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new, definitely log, definitely don't eat back all the exercise. I got a cardio monitor, it seems to give better exercise calorie counts. I also find that lots of root veggies (swede, celeriac, kohlrabi) to replace rice, pasta, potatoes works well. Do your counting early or through the day and add an after dinner walk or jog if you're over!