Why are calories going down after goal?

I hit my goal after 235 days of eating 1,500 net calories per day. 185 lbs to 158 lbs. So why does My. Fitness pal say to eat 1,200? Why are calories going down after goal? I don't get it. Any ideas?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Double check you have your goal set to 'maintain weight'
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Go into your settings, choose "update your diet profile," go to the bottom of the page and find "What is your goal?" Use the dropdown to choose "maintain my current weight."
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @Louis30092 congratulations on your success. If you lost weight at 1500 calories it stands to reason you would not cut calories to maintain. :) Hope you get the new correct amount showing up.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Congratulations!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Now MFP does wait until 10 lbs is lost to recalc a new daily burn level, and therefore eating level based on new weight.

It takes about that much of a change to make a noticeable difference to the eating level.

But that's still a tad major you saw, but could be part of it. And while it should switch to maintain automatically - it probably won't.

Just a warning too - don't try to hold to a goal weight number but rather a range.
    You'll drive yourself batty worrying about never hitting that number except on some odd day.
    Just in case you didn't know.
    And that first diet week big water weight drop most people got - that comes back when you start eating more - but it's healthy water weight that will increase your metabolism - so accept it.

Because big congrats. Sounds like did it right and it worked as expected.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Just in case you didn't know.
    And that first diet week big water weight drop most people got - that comes back when you start eating more - but it's healthy water weight that will increase your metabolism - so accept it.

WOW, water weight increases metabolism! Call the New York Times and fix those damaged BL winners!!!

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Sure, stored in muscle glucose with attached water increases LBM and metabolism for the body dealing with it.

And when you go in a diet, that's your first drop of metabolism as you store less.

I wasn't talking about stress-induced increased cortisol water weight gain.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Congratulations! Reset your goals.