Resistance training DVDs for the absolute beginner

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
A friend of mine is just starting and wishes to incorporate some strength into her routine. I do YAYOG but she didn't like it and wants something more structured with a full length workout DVD. She attempted Jillian Michael's Body Revolution but found it too challenging. She is very obese so fast paced DVDs are not a good fit because it's hard for her to keep the pace at her weight. She has access to dumbbells and nothing else, gym is not an option. Any DVD out there with focused slow paced simple moves that are easy to follow but mostly strength focused?

Replies

• DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest looking at the variety of options for free on Fitness Blender.com It allows you to enter criteria for workout intensity and equipment.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    YouTube!

There are many fitness channels, such as Fitness Blender or Jillian videos, that have tons of great videos; varying levels/abilities/paces.
    ((And it's FREE.))
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton has a series called 10-minute trainers it's a great intro workout. You can either use resistance band or dumbbells. You can either get it at Amazon or beachbody.com
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Maybe your friend could try this. It is a good simple effective workout that requires little in the way of equipment.

Have her watch through to begin with and make notes on each exercise.
    She can then break them down to do them in her own time to begin with.
    Over time she will build to doing the first set along with the video, then the whole video.
    She can also just start with just doing the movements and add weight when she is ready.

Walking is everso good too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Cheers, h.