Making no progress with weight training

Options
2»

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase muscle mass you need to eat at a surplus, that's the first thing. The second thing is that results from strength training take time. Give it six months then decide whether or not you're seeing gains.

Eat more and follow a structured plan. If you eat more and never do anything to tax your muscles then all that food is going to waste and to your waist.

Getting muscular requires the proper fuel and proper work together and won't work without a balance.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    NadiaMayl wrote: »

Say you want to bench press for 5 sets of 5 reps each set (volume) with 45 lbs (weight, obviously). Maybe the first time you do sets of 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 reps. Next training day use the same weight 45 lbs and stay at 45 lbs until you can do 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 reps. Once you can do all 5 sets at 5 reps each, it's time to add 5 lbs to bench press next training day. Then do your best with 50 lbs and stay at that weight until you can do all 5x5 at that weight, and then add another 5 lbs, and so on.

This is probably the best and simplest example/explantation of what a beginner with almost no clue to lifting/ weight training (me, me, me) should start out with! Thanks!

Not so much...find a program like SL 5x5 and follow it.

45lbs may be too heavy for some...it's all about find what is heavy for you that you have an issue doing 5 reps with and you are struggling a bit...take a rest...2-3mins repeat.

As a woman I didn't always add 5lbs esp when it got very heavy...I have fractional plates that are 3lbs to add to upper body lifts.

Find a program...follow it.