5'3" women and daily caloric intake (add yours)

Options

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Trinique34 wrote: »
    Wow I'm only 5 feet and eat 1350 a day. Makes me wonder if I'm not eating too much since I haven't lost a lb for 6 weeks. I work out 5 times a week, 3 times doing HIIT, twice with a trainer and the other two work outs are 20-30 mins cardio.

I'd get a food scale if I were you. If you haven't lost weight in six weeks you're overestimating your exercise burns, underestimating your food intake, or a combo of both. If you're not losing weight on 1350 calories, eating more wouldn't make you lose weight.
  • 10ssmith
    10ssmith Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and started out at 165.8 pounds(& I'm 24) . I eat 1200 calories a day and eat back some excersize calories . I have currently lost around 6 pounds in 30 days.

**had to edit put the wrong weight lol
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5", 46 y.o. I'm set at 1400 cals/ day. I've lost a little over 30lbs, 84 to go. I'm losing at about 2 lbs/wk. I walk at least 10,000 steps/ day, with one day a week hitting closer to 20,000. On days my Fitbit gives me exercise calories I either don't eat them or at the most eat only 1/2 back.
  • redmaryclare
    redmaryclare Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 3" and am set for 1350 but eat more than that, average about 1450. Have been losing at 1 lb per week for last 14 weeks, from 168 to 154. I do a lot of walking - 30 miles per week and so I guess I'm eating back a bit for that.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and 66 years old. I eat 1,750ish to 2,000+ calories per day. Lost 52 lbs. at 1 lb per week then .5 lb over a 15 month period and currently at maintenance. Holding steady at 127 lbs. I have a Fitbit HR and walk 25,000 steps per day total activity which includes weight training & cardio 3x's per week.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Wow I'm only 5 feet and eat 1350 a day. Makes me wonder if I'm not eating too much since I haven't lost a lb for 6 weeks. I work out 5 times a week, 3 times doing HIIT, twice with a trainer and the other two work outs are 20-30 mins cardio.

I'd get a food scale if I were you. If you haven't lost weight in six weeks you're overestimating your exercise burns, underestimating your food intake, or a combo of both. If you're not losing weight on 1350 calories, eating more wouldn't make you lose weight.

What makes you feel I don't weigh and measure my food? I have weighed every single thing I've consumed. When I first started MFP my cals were set at 1200 and the first two weeks I gained 4 lbs. My Trainer told me I'm not eating enough since my workouts were becoming harder, so I increased it to 1420 and lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks. Since then the weight loss as stopped, so I lowered it to 1350.

I even weigh my fruits and vegetables. I don't believe that is the problem. Most days I do not consume my exercise calories, even on the days when I do an hr of HITT with my trainer. I may eat an extra 100 on those days. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but this week I'm going to try lowering my carb intake and see if that helps. I have done low carb before, 50grams a day, and lost weight, but since working out so much I didn't want to resort to that.
  • Trinique34
    Options
    BTW if you're looking at my journal I've become discouraged over the last two days and sort of pigged out. This is the most "cheating" I've done in the last 6 weeks, so don't judge me based on those days please:)
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    aw @Trinique34 no judgement here!! Maybe try increasing calories a bit if you say workouts are harder!

I am about to begin more intensive workouts this week and this post is making me wonder if I can as many are successful on higher calories. I know as I get closer to goal, I may need to reduce so would rather have my body burning fat at higher cals now... hmm
  • Trinique34
    Options
    I'm always afraid to post on MFP because I see a lot of people judging others and criticizing them so I don't normally post much.

I can't give anyone advice on whether to eat more or less because nothing has worked for me. My trainer said I should be eating 1600 a day....if that helps. I'm going to try eating 1400 this week again and lower my carb intake, we'll see where that takes me when I weigh on Friday morning, sighh LOL
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1", and I'm sure if I even look at more than 1300 calories per day I gain weight! I've been off track for the last few weeks, only logging here and there and got lax with weighing food. Time to change that because scale hasn't budged since that happened too.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    BTW if you're looking at my journal I've become discouraged over the last two days and sort of pigged out. This is the most "cheating" I've done in the last 6 weeks, so don't judge me based on those days please:)

I'm not judging you whatsoever and I didn't even know you had a public diary. However, the solution to "I'm not losing any weight on x calories" is never to actually increase those calories. Weight loss is not linear and does not function in an immediate input/output fashion. You could eat at a deficit and that loss may not show up on the scales for at least another week or two. Also, due to where you hold water during your cycle, you can have several pounds of water weight masking losses during ovulation or menstruation. If you only weigh in once a week or even less than that, any losses may easily be masked.

Some people believe that when they eat more they lose more, but it's simply not the case. Usually the extra food gives them more energy so they move more and burn off more calories. Another possibility is that they had cheat days on a lower calorie intake and cheated less with increased calories. A third possibility is being more accurate with logging since there is more caloric breathing room. However if a person changes absolutely nothing and eats 1200 calories then moves to 1500 calories, they will not lose more weight on 1500 because that is not how the body functions.

Also, you didn't gain 4 pounds on 1200 calories, as you would have had to eat 14,000 calories above your maintenance to do so. A new exercise routine can make you hold water weight for muscle repair. Couple that with the menstrual cycle I've stated above and it will seem like you've temporarily "gained". If you start low carb you will also see scale losses, most of the time rapid in the first week, but it will be due to your depleting glycogen stores and not actual fat loss.

I must reiterate that I am not judging or picking on you in any way, just in case you think that is my intention. I simply replied to your post since you've stated you haven't lost any weight in six weeks. Also, I put the information there for any newcomers who read it and think they have to eat more to lose more because it's absolutely false. That and "starvation mode" are two of the biggest weight loss myths that tend to circulate and they make their way on these boards often. Being a long time poster, I've seen it all too often. So again my apologies if you felt/feel like I was picking on you at all, but it is not my intention. I just have a lot of experience with weight loss, fitness, and the science behind all of it and wanted to clarify a few things.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 44yo, 5'7". In the last 30 days lost 13 lbs, total loss 33lbs. Trying to stick with 1250 cals/day. I'm lightly active on most days, exercise is cycling, and i only go about once a week now for 30-32 miles rides. Will up it hopefully a little more over the summer.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 145 pounds, I eat 1,700 to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I eat around 2,400 to maintain. I have a physically demanding job, walk 60 minutes 4 times a week (getting over 10k steps every day), and weight train 3-4 days a week.
  • Heartlight441
    Options
    I'm always afraid to post on MFP because I see a lot of people judging others and criticizing them so I don't normally post much.

I can't give anyone advice on whether to eat more or less because nothing has worked for me. My trainer said I should be eating 1600 a day....if that helps. I'm going to try eating 1400 this week again and lower my carb intake, we'll see where that takes me when I weigh on Friday morning, sighh LOL

Yes some posters can be harsh and judgemental... coupled with online where you can't tell a person's tone too, advise can be taken the wrong way. I take everything with a grain of salt. :) My program also recommends me going to 1600 calories (but not also eating back any exercise calories). Tempting yet not wanting my weight loss to stall so on the fence. Hoping to decide by end of today. ;)

• Heartlight441
    Options
    I naturally seem to hit 40/30/30 for my macros and like this!
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    5'3", 44, 132lbs, eat anything from 1650-2000, losing one or two lbs a month on that. Desk job, but walk at least five miles a day as part of my commute, usually more.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 3, and 9 stone 3 lbs (129 lbs). I eat around 1630 calories a day, and burn off about 250 through walking to create a half pound a week deficit. I've lost 2 stone 3 lbs (31 lbs) in 14 months and have 9 lbs left.
  • Trinique34
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I'm not judging you whatsoever and I didn't even know you had a public diary. However, the solution to "I'm not losing any weight on x calories" is never to actually increase those calories. Weight loss is not linear and does not function in an immediate input/output fashion. You could eat at a deficit and that loss may not show up on the scales for at least another week or two. Also, due to where you hold water during your cycle, you can have several pounds of water weight masking losses during ovulation or menstruation. If you only weigh in once a week or even less than that, any losses may easily be masked.

Some people believe that when they eat more they lose more, but it's simply not the case. Usually the extra food gives them more energy so they move more and burn off more calories. Another possibility is that they had cheat days on a lower calorie intake and cheated less with increased calories. A third possibility is being more accurate with logging since there is more caloric breathing room. However if a person changes absolutely nothing and eats 1200 calories then moves to 1500 calories, they will not lose more weight on 1500 because that is not how the body functions.

Also, you didn't gain 4 pounds on 1200 calories, as you would have had to eat 14,000 calories above your maintenance to do so. A new exercise routine can make you hold water weight for muscle repair. Couple that with the menstrual cycle I've stated above and it will seem like you've temporarily "gained". If you start low carb you will also see scale losses, most of the time rapid in the first week, but it will be due to your depleting glycogen stores and not actual fat loss.

I must reiterate that I am not judging or picking on you in any way, just in case you think that is my intention. I simply replied to your post since you've stated you haven't lost any weight in six weeks. Also, I put the information there for any newcomers who read it and think they have to eat more to lose more because it's absolutely false. That and "starvation mode" are two of the biggest weight loss myths that tend to circulate and they make their way on these boards often. Being a long time poster, I've seen it all too often. So again my apologies if you felt/feel like I was picking on you at all, but it is not my intention. I just have a lot of experience with weight loss, fitness, and the science behind all of it and wanted to clarify a few things.

I appreciate the advice. I really do.
    That being said, take a look at my dairy and give me an idea of how many you think I should be eating. I'm 43, just barely 5 feet tall and weigh 140. I am trying to get to 125. A measly 15 lbs and I cannot seem to do it. That being said my lowest weight as an adult has been 133. Never been lower. I workout 5 times a week, twice with a trainer doing HITT/Tabata, once on my own doing that, and twice doing just cardio for 20-30 mins plus abs.

Funny you should say that perhaps it was my muscles being sore that made me gain weight. My trainer went on Vacation for a few weeks, in fact I didn't workout with her for 3 weeks, just worked out on my own, very lightly, nothing too crazy and lost those 5 lbs. That's why sometimes I think I'm not eating enough. Since she came back I have not lost a thing. Not in weight or inches. I don't care if the scale never goes down, if my inches were moving I'm happy, but even that is not happening.

• Trinique34
    Options

Yes some posters can be harsh and judgemental... coupled with online where you can't tell a person's tone too, advise can be taken the wrong way. I take everything with a grain of salt. :) My program also recommends me going to 1600 calories (but not also eating back any exercise calories). Tempting yet not wanting my weight loss to stall so on the fence. Hoping to decide by end of today. ;)

Are you working out with a trainer as well?