Avoid squats and lunges

Options

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    It was a joke. I'm wearing a pink shirt now.

eta: I'm with you. Just having a little fun. Or trying to. Not successfully, I guess.

I'm sorry! It's hard to assess tone on the internet. I've been told I'm a bit too brash at times with my wording, so I'm working extra hard on clarity and choosing my words carefully. I thought I may have legitimately offended someone with my initial post and tried to clarify my intent. :D
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I know it's a "broad strokes" type of thing, but I avoid reading, and rarely take seriously anything with the word "skinny" in the title. It reeks of obsessive vanity, voodoo dieting and neuroticisim.

Agreed. I love trying different protein/snack bars and the other day at Target I saw a Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond bar that caught my eye. I love that combo together, but when I saw the brand name for the bar "Skinnygirl" I decided to pass on it. The name is very offputting.

I'm pretty sure I can guess what's on the site without actually visiting.
    • The suggestion to eat vegan and/or raw vegan. Lots of mentions about antioxidants and the benefits of stuff like chia seeds and power greens.
    • Cardio, cardio, cardio with only a few mentions of resistance training and most likely with light weights.
    • How to exercise/eat for your "body type".
    • Lots of quizzes.
    • Possibly the color pink and lots of it.
    That being said, I'll be avoiding that superskinnyme website like the plague, so thanks in advance OP!

What's wrong with the color pink?

Absolutely nothing is wrong with the color pink itself. However, when it comes to marketing things toward women, companies tend to slap the color pink on items, charge more, and claim it's made "for women" even though there are no alterations to the products themselves. Examples include BiC "For Her" pens and protein powders/supplements "for women" which give less product for more money in a pink container and it is no different from the ingredients in standard protein powders/supplements.

Certain companies make exercise equipment/gear almost exclusively in pink hues because they assume it appeals to all women. It's not even just women, it starts from childhood; Nerf's Rebelle guns, anyone? There is nothing wrong with women who like the color pink; I have a pink 3DS and a pink bookbag so I definitely like pink myself. However there is something wrong with the assumption that if something is supposed to be for women that the go-to color should be pink everything. It gets trite after a while. A website that assumes women are aspiring to be super skinny seems to be the type to adopt this same notion when it comes to color schemes.

Pink 3 lb dumb bells come to mind. :neutral:
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ahh it's so frustrating because as I'm losing weight it's coming off the top half of my body (which is great) but not the bottom!! I just really want slim legs
  • duckforceone
    duckforceone Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    some people are pre-disposed for strong legs... maybe that is you...

i also get huge thighs from doing almost nothing... where my upper body i have to work like a maniac to see any gains.

you could accept that what makes you you, is among others your big legs. Learn to like them instead of focusing on being something else... :smile:
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    some people are pre-disposed for strong legs... maybe that is you...

i also get huge thighs from doing almost nothing... where my upper body i have to work like a maniac to see any gains.

you could accept that what makes you you, is among others your big legs. Learn to like them instead of focusing on being something else... :smile:

I thought my trainer was making my thighs bigger with the constant lunges and squats. I kept feeling them get hard and tight. And the first two weeks the inches stayed the same. He kept saying trust me, trust me. 6 weeks and 3 inches off each!! Better yet 5.5 off my waist. The muscle on my legs is bigger but the skin pulled tight, fat gone, muscle added. Looks like a younger more trim leg.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Ahh it's so frustrating because as I'm losing weight it's coming off the top half of my body (which is great) but not the bottom!! I just really want slim legs

So there is a video by Lyle McDonald that talks about how women tend to lose fat. In this video, he mentions how women tend to lose fat from their upper bodies easily and can normally see their abs before men. He says lower body fat is a different story and is usually much harder to get rid of. He says that as a woman gets leaner, this will be one of the struggles. I'm 5'3" and 112 pounds and I'm dealing with this right now, actually. It's a long video, but very interesting with regard to the experiences women have with weight loss, especially as they get leaner.

https://youtu.be/6846ZTBu08k
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Jeez, squats are one of the best exercises you can ever do. If some mischievous deity showed up and said you could only do one exercise ever again, you should choose the squat.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    rawley69 wrote: »
    Jeez, squats are one of the best exercises you can ever do. If some mischievous deity showed up and said you could only do one exercise ever again, you should choose the squat.

and deadlifts. Can't forget the deadlifts
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    What these people said ^... and stop reading blogs.

haha - exactly!
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    rawley69 wrote: »

and deadlifts. Can't forget the deadlifts

True dat.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I know it's a "broad strokes" type of thing, but I avoid reading, and rarely take seriously anything with the word "skinny" in the title. It reeks of obsessive vanity, voodoo dieting and neuroticisim.

Agreed. I love trying different protein/snack bars and the other day at Target I saw a Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond bar that caught my eye. I love that combo together, but when I saw the brand name for the bar "Skinnygirl" I decided to pass on it. The name is very offputting.

Right? I even went ahead and tried a Skinny Cow strawberry shortcake ice cream sandwich and it tasted like complete *kitten*. Never trusting "skinny" food again.
  • khavogoi
    khavogoi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do cardio exercises to burn the fat away, as well as squats, lunges and other strength training exercises to help build muscle. Building muscle will help your legs look more defined and also help in burning more fat.
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    Okay thanks all. How often should I do squats? Everyday or five times a week?
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    Anyone?? Lol
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm doing SL 5x5, so I do them 3 times a week with 48 hours between workouts for recovery.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What kind of squats are you doing? What are your goals?

If they are heavy squats, you need to have a day or more of recovery between sessions. If you just mean bodyweight squats and lunges, it doesn't matter.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Rather than avoiding a great exercise for building strength like squats and lunges, I would just avoid click bait blogs like the one you referenced that are going to be filled with pseudoscience and paid advertisements...
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • myfightforfitness
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What kind of squats are you doing? What are your goals?

If they are heavy squats, you need to have a day or more of recovery between sessions. If you just mean bodyweight squats and lunges, it doesn't matter.

I'm quite new to these leg exercises so I was going to do them with 3kg dumbbell
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like you people.

That is all.