What time should you eat your 1st meal of the day?

There seems to be a ton of conflicting research on whether or not it is better to eat first thing in the morning or closer to noon. I've tried both, and to the point of most of the pro-fasting crowd, I do get very hungry for the rest of the morning when I eat really early. My concern with this, however, is the possibility of this lowering metabolism. No one needs to make it even harder for their body to lose weight.

So, I'm curious as to what the general consensus is on this topic. Anyone been significantly more successful one way or the other?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I have my breakfast 1-2 hours after getting up as I'm never hungry first thing. Just eat when you're hungry, if you get hungry in the morning after breakfast, have a snack.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Coffee. Because the world wouldn't be here if I didn't have it.

True, I have my coffee first thing, then breakfast a few hours later.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Whenever you *kitten* well please.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    There are no "shoulds."
    Eat at the times that work for you and then change them whenever you want.
    Many do not eat at all in the mornings.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    I guess I should mention: I have my coffee in the morning, and usually eat my first meal around 11am-1pm. I simply don't start eating in the day until I am slightly hungry.
  • Kavazya
    Kavazya Posts: 22 Member
    Okay, thanks guys! Since I'm no pro athlete and am hungry at totally different times day-to-day, this is music to my ears. Glad most of the "shoulds" have been debunked
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Eat when you are hungry and works with your schedule.

However, I find that having consistant eating times helps me to stick to my plan better.
    I eat at 8 AM, noon, 3-4 PM (snack), 6PM, 8-9 PM (snack). If I eat at 5 AM I end up hungrier throughout the day than if I just wait to eat at 8 AM.
  • duckforceone
    duckforceone Posts: 121 Member
    yeah they did a research a little while ago, where they had people eat at different times, 3 times a day, 6 times a day, and big meals.... and they found, there were no difference between either solution...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    There's no one 'expert' on the subject of meal timing. Suit yourself.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Whenever you want.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    When you're hungry.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,475 Member
    What works for me ... 10:30 am. It takes a while before my stomach wakes up and wants food.

What works for you ... who knows!
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Whatever works for you. I eat my first meal at around 3.30pm :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    When I'm hungry. So anywhere between 6am and 9am, usually.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    I'm with the coffee first thing in the morning. Then I can exercise soon after finishing, then I eat around 11 am. Usually my lunch or oatmeal, as I don't care for breakfast foods in general. I can't exercise with food in my tummy without feeling ill. I also just think it's silly to make myself eat when I'm not even hungry.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    I have a protein shake for breakfast so I can drink it throughout the whole morning. I leave for work at 7:30am and the few times I tried to eat before I left I was starting before midday. I don't eat lunch until half 1.

Having my shake little and often throughout the morning helps keep my hunger at bay :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Kavazya wrote: »
    Okay, thanks guys! Since I'm no pro athlete and am hungry at totally different times day-to-day, this is music to my ears. Glad most of the "shoulds" have been debunked

Indeed! If all those silly rules could be publicly debunked and the media would report that instead of all the woo, people would have a much easier time losing. Yesterday I didn't eat until 1pm, today I was starving at 9 so I ate. Sometimes it makes waiting for lunch harder so today my strategy will be to have my high protein snack at my usual lunch hour, and then that will help me wait an extra hour or so for lunch, allowing lunch to be late enough I won't need a PM snack before dinner. I will also likely cook a bit earlier in the evening tonight. No biggie, I just eat when hungry then adjust as needed :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    One more vote for whenever you want!

I get heat from some friends that I don't eat until noonish most days, with comments about how I'm slowing my metabolism, etc. Ironically, I'm the thinnest.