I'm here to loose my cancer weight and train for a marathon

luckbug
luckbug Posts: 4 Member
Last year I used this app to loose a lot of weight and felt great; I was finally starting to get into running again too! I was regularly running, 4-6 miles, and got all the way up to one 10 mile run! But after lots of stress and work set backs, I stopped running for a while. I was just so tired and getting a more stable job was just more important. Well, I got a stable job, but I was still super tired. I gained most of the weight back. Turns out I had thyroid cancer and that's why I was so tired all the time.

Now I've had my surgery and have been cleared by my doctor to work out and restrict calories. Goals for the next 3 months is loose at least the 10 pounds I gained, as well as get to running a min of 15 miles a week. (With long weekend runs of more than 4 miles) My long term goals are to loose 10 more pounds (for speed) and run a at least a half marathon. That should take 6-9 months I think. I'm planning on being marathon ready 12-18 months from now. I'm sure most people could complete a marathon faster than this, but I want to leave plenty of time for my body to acclimate and get into a routine without risking injury.

It's hard getting back into running. My thyroid meds are messing with my heart rate right now and I've been burning out pretty quickly. Right now I can go 2-3 miles but it takes me 30-45 min. So if you're also a slow runner who wants to get faster, starting a marathon, or understand working your way back from cancer, I'd like to be your internet friend!