How many of excercise Cal's should you eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ise438 wrote: »
    I've lost the weight quite quickly in about 6 weeks - the thing is I feel fine - never hungry and light headed etc. What problems can occur in the long run?

Two big ones that I think are common are (1) losing more muscle than you need to (this is a big reason why I slowed down my weight loss, especially as I got to a healthy weight range), and (2) avoiding a crash. It's really common to feel super energetic and motivated at first and then get to a point where you all of a sudden feel it and are starving or exhausted. When I first started I was accidentally eating 900-1000 calories and feeling great and walking a bunch and doing some cycling. That wasn't sustainable. With MFP I realized what I was doing and started eating more and adding back some exercise calories and basically aiming at a 2 lb goal. I think that helped me stay strong and keep it fun and not burdensome through the time it took to lose the weight (transitioning into more exercise, more calories throughout that period).
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    ise438 wrote: »
    Evening all - ok so I've lost 2 stone using my fitness pal which allows me 1500 calories - however I do quite a bit of cardio walking, running and cycling but I rarely eat above 1500. Sometimes I am burning 1500 to 2000 Calories some I am wondering if I can eat some of them and still continue to lose weight - I don't eat free sugar only natural I've pretty much cut out bread, pasta and rice - so I'd basically just eat slightly more of what I am already eating - any ideas? I was thinking maybe 300 of the excercise calories

Today my calorie intake will be off because I weighed my cube steak after cooking it. That means that there'll be a good one ounce of meat not counted. The USDA gives nutrition information based on uncooked meats but I weighed mine after it was cooked. That's just one logging error. If I make several of these in one day it could account for several hundred extra calories.

Also, when I set my goals, I put in that I would work-out 30 minutes per day three times per week. If I only work-out one time per week I would be over what I should eat if I eat all the calories MFP factors in since it is included in my deficit calculation. If I work-out 5 times per week, I could eat slightly more.

There are many factors to eating more and losing weight. I lost fairly quickly at about 10 pounds per month for the first six months with moderate exercise. My hair is healthier than ever as I eat more protein than most people. I do have some loose skin but let's face it, I'm older and don't spring back as quick as I used to.

I think your idea of eating back 300 of your exercise calories is spot on. Yesterday I ate back 400 of my exercise calories after a 3 mile walk and am still in the green. Good luck on your continued loss and congrats on losing those 2 stone! :)