Can I just buy a juicer

Options
jonthemusse
jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
For my veggie needs (pound+ a day), and drink my salads, or is it too much of a pain to empty and clean if used on a daily basis, as some tools are?

Good ones seem to cost enough to pause for a think.

I'll hire a cook before I upgrade the company car from the current beater, but in the meanwhile I'm still responsible to feed myself.

Replies

• nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ehhhh plus a juicer removes so much of the fibre, which is what keeps you full. I personally prefer to eat my fruit and veg, but even a smoothie would be better than just juice.
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    I've never used one. Seems like a fine shortcut. I gather it would require more involved cooking to utilize the leftovers. Eating raw fiber mush doesn't sound like an easy sell.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I actually heard that juicers are more of a pain to clean than blenders. If you don't want all of the fiber, you could just use a cheesecloth to strain out your mixture from a regular blender.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for permission, just tell 'em I said it was ok. Druther see you learn to cook and appreciate food though.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I tried juicing at one time. Not as a substitute for eating in any way, just to try and get a bit more fruit into me, I don't eat much fruit.

I had the Jack Lelanne juicer that you just put the whole fruit in (if it fits) skin and all. You only need to cut up large fruit. The fiber came out the back into a separate container and apparently you can use it in various recipes (I didn't, but I am lazy)

All in all it seemed like too much bother for me. I found veggie juice pretty gross and in some cases made me feel nauseous, some fruit juice was very nice some was "meh" You also need a lot of fruit to make a decent glass full.

I also found it a bit of a pain to clean, not the worst thing (that was a blender with rhubarb in it)

So I ended up giving it to my daughter in law and just persisted in trying to eat more fruit.
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    If you're looking for permission, just tell 'em I said it was ok.
    This is exactly what I was after, but it seems my opinion is now to give it a pass because the others said so.

I'm a reasonably seasoned cook, but I don't cook for myself. Waste of time. I wouldn't appreciate my cooking anyway.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Juicers take a lot of effort to clean.
    I rather just eat a power greens salad and get the fiber.
    Juicing fruit can be too much sugar in diet.
    I drink a v8 low sodium from time to time.

A vitamix might be something you might consider someday.
    A powerful blender.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If you find one that keeps the whole food, it could be an easier way to have veggies / fruit,
    if you can't find time to eat them normally.

But you need that fiber, so don't just drink juice.
    Fiber slows the travel of food through your stomach & intestines, it slows the absorption of
    sugar into the blood, it helps with cholesterol, it makes pooping easier...

Besides, it's so much easier to overeat when you're drinking (esp. if you're taking something
    to go, in the car or on the bus) than when you have to take a bite & chew your food.
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just love my morphy Richards slow juicer which gives me all the micro nutrients I need. Not too bad to clean if you soak it straight away and I recommend you look up Jason vale on u tube for more info
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    An expensive one (masticating juicer) has the ability to juice leafy greens. However, it takes longer and there are more components to clean. If you have the time and dedication it would be worth it. You'll be shopping every other day at least if you're juicing a pound of veggies a day.

Or you can just buy ready-to-go spring mix and eat that. Personally prefer eating or blending leafy greens.

Most of the juicers under $100 are centrifugal juicers that are geared toward water rich fruits and vegetables (apples, celery, cucumber, carrots, etc). I'd start with that to see if it's worth your time.

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I find juicers too much of a pain in the behind to clean. I got one, used it for a week and got sick of cleaning the thing so I stopped using it. But to each his own.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like my Ninja-- It's not a juicer but a blender--so the fiber stays in. There are several different models, but I got a good deal on a clearance model for about $60.00.

It just has two cups and the blade attachment. The blade rinses right off, and the cups go in the dishwasher.qpvoqgfl1ud1.jpg

• Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a juicer that I used a handful of times and didn't think it was a pain to clean. All the pulp is in one spot so that just gets dumped and the rest is easy. I never understood people saying that they're a PITA to clean.

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Get a Vitamix and make smoothies instead of juices. Keep the fiber in.

Juicers I have used are a PITA to clean. Not worth it!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I got a juicer in one of those swappy christmas things...I never used it in 5 years so it went to the thrift store last time we moved.

@askyle I really want a vitamix, more to make soups and stuff than anything, but I can't justify the cost when I've got an immersion blender, stand mixer, food processor, hand beaters, and a regular blender.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I got a juicer in one of those swappy christmas things...I never used it in 5 years so it went to the thrift store last time we moved.

@askyle I really want a vitamix, more to make soups and stuff than anything, but I can't justify the cost when I've got an immersion blender, stand mixer, food processor, hand beaters, and a regular blender.

I had all those things when I got my Vitamix and I still think it was worth it. It does things that none of the others can do and it's so easy to clean that I find myself using it much more often than I ever used my blender. I did get rid of my regular blender.

Not to talk you into spending money . . . >:)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

I had all those things when I got my Vitamix and I still think it was worth it. It does things that none of the others can do and it's so easy to clean that I find myself using it much more often than I ever used my blender. I did get rid of my regular blender.

Not to talk you into spending money . . . >:)

I've seen refurbished ones at Costco for half price!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would love a Vitamix but for now I really like the Ninja. It works great and is very versatile.
  • jonthemusse
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would have though this thread was dead already. In a month the land will begin to produce more that I can eat or give away. Starchy stuff comes autumn. It's the reds and greens and yellows I need to consume soon.

I'll google vitamix, but I doubt I'll find it in this market.

This non-centrifugal thingie sounds interesting.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thats a terrible idea. Id buy a nutribullet or ninja blender. Juicing ruins fryits and veggies. You will be taking out tons of nutrients and all that good fiber. I use my ninja blender to do rae veggies and fruit. This way i get every bit on the veggies and fruit and all the good stuff that comes with them.