For MOTHER'S DAY: What's the BEST ADVICE your MOM ever gave you?

Options
I'm a very crafty person- like to create things & get very deeply involved in causes I believe in.

I think the best advice my mother ever gave me was "MAKE YOURSELF YOUR PROJECT".

It's taken me a few decades, but I'm finally doing that NOW and prioritizing MY HEALTH & Happiness. Wish she were here to see the result- but I can still hear her voice ringing in my ears. Thank you, Mom.

Replies

• NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear YOUR input.

6qgly88oa61v.jpeg
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Never quit.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Never quit.

Judging from the fact that you've lost 75lbs, you took that advice! Well done!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I don't remember actaul advice from my mom. She died several years ago.
    I remember her love and support and putting people before things. She was warm and strong. She didn't let hard times or disappointments crush her or turn her bitter. She taught me to work hard and look for solutions instead of giving up. I remember her example of being a good parent, spouse and friend. Sadly she wasn't as good as taking care of herself as she was others though. That was an example to learn from too.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Hmmm, I don't remember actaul advice from my mom. She died several years ago.
    I remember her love and support and putting people before things. She was warm and strong. She didn't let hard times or disappointments crush her or turn her bitter. She taught me to work hard and look for solutions instead of giving up. I remember her example of being a good parent, spouse and friend. Sadly she wasn't as good as taking care of herself as she was others though. That was an example to learn from too.

Thank you for sharing- it sounds as if she was a wonderful and inspirational woman. As they say on the plane "put your own oxygen mask on first". An important lesson.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My mother taught me to love my family and to be kind, among other things. I miss her kindness.
  • sew205
    sew205 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you feel bad, drink some water and get some sleep.

This has turned out to be enormously useful advice for a wide variety of feeling-bad situations, and I'm sorry for all the times adolescent me rolled her eyes.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    "There's no shame in being terrified of doing hard drugs." She then shared a story of extreme peer pressure to start using cocaine in her 30's. Saved my butt a few times, actually, just owning the fear and being unashamed.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    sew205 wrote: »
    If you feel bad, drink some water and get some sleep.

This has turned out to be enormously useful advice for a wide variety of feeling-bad situations, and I'm sorry for all the times adolescent me rolled her eyes.

Also perfect advice for weight loss!
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    "If you don't have anything nice to say, do not say anything at all." Being positive was always her best feature. Some people on here could use that advice.