10000 Steps?

Options
hal1964
hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
Keeping in mind that there is no science behind needing to walk 10000 steps per day. The 10000 steps concept originated in Japan in the 1960s as a way to sell pedometers. Given the state of the things, I'd say it worked.

I still think it's a good marker of physical activity, especially if someone is not physically active, is just starting their diet and weight loss journey or can't be more physically active. Still an even better goal is to track activity minutes. The AHA, CDC, WHO and most other health agencies worldwide suggest 150 minutes of moderately intense activity or 75 minutes of vigorously intense activity. Also, 2 days per week of strength training.

I was 225 when I started on MFP. I am now 175. I play a sport at least once a week and go to the gym 4 days a week. My average steps per week, per my Garmin Vivosmart HR, is about 6700 steps per day.

To all those who strive for 10000 steps per day, keep it up! You're active and way still way ahead of those who are at home sitting on the couch binge-watching "The Netflix".

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    http://www.today.com/health/tracking-fitness-why-10-000-steps-day-may-not-be-t29036
    The article is interesting and informative. I agree with "activity minutes" more so than steps. But, if it takes some people strapping a device to their wrist to make them move there's no harm in that. Personally, my motivation is I like to keep moving.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to how many steps I get. I'm a cyclist first and foremost, and the idea of taking time away from the bike to go for a walk ... it can be pleasant occasionally but it isn't something I'd do to improve my fitness.
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Now don't get me wrong...if you haven't exercised in years, are just realizing you need to do it or can't do anything else exercise-wise, there is nothing wrong with that. Shooting for 10K steps/day is better than sitting on the couch all day and binge-watching Netflix.