Is this fat or bloating? (pictures included)

Options
2»

Replies

• Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It's always a risk in the fact that it's one of those things that can keep going and going and going until, before you realize it, your weight is out of control. Right now, no, not really. But it's still a better idea to fill out the MFP profile and get started when you want / as soon as you want instead of putting it off until you feel even more in the slumps over it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yep, definitely fat ... if it were bloating, you wouldn't be able to hold it or suck it in like you're going. Bloat is solid. Bloat also goes away in a day or two.

Get rid of it by eating fewer calories than you burn, and thus losing weight.

And yes, it can be a health risk.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if this fat would be considered dangerous? I know I am young but in general is this a risk?

This is a question best asked of a doctor, honestly.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Anyone know if this fat would be considered dangerous? I know I am young but in general is this a risk?

Since you are young and you can grab and hold it, it's not likely you're at any immediate risk. The most dangerous kind of fat the fat that is around the organs which you can't grab. You can't know how much fat you have there without proper imaging, but since you are able to suck in your belly like that and look normal, and since your weight is not too high, you are likely fine on that front. It may become a risk in the future when you are older or if you gain weight, but it's likely not a cause for concern if you start working on it right now.

I wouldn't worry, and would just concentrate on losing the few extra pounds you have while trying to preserve muscle mass (by losing weight very slowly, eating high protein, and doing some sort of strength training). When you do that, you will see an improvement in your body composition (muscle and fat ratios) and reduce that harmful fat around organs, if any.
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Then nhs recommend women have a belly measurement of 31.5 or less.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    katie22mfp wrote: »

Then nhs recommend women have a belly measurement of 31.5 or less.

At natural waist (slightly above belly button). It appears that she is measuring closer to lower belly.
  • BabyBabt
    BabyBabt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a snack-a-holic myself. But I replaced junk food with fruits and veggies. It takes some adjusting but you gotta have the desire to change. Sacrifice or belly fat? It's your choice in the end.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its fat but when you suck in your tummy it pulls the abs in and gives a sleeker silhouette.
    The tummy fat is the last to go, I'm still working on banishing the remainder of mine, its about eating at slight deficit and for me lifting weights is really helping to flatten it. I haven't had to cut out any food groups.