Hi, I'm Mark, and I'm fat...

Options
Yup, I said the "f" word. I'm perfectly comfortable in telling it like it is, and I don't feel like being fat is an insult or makes me less of a person.
On the other hand, it IS a health problem that I am now addressing in earnest.

Background:
Male
6'1"
280# (currently)
46 y.o.
Type 2 diabetes (last A1C at 6.8 three months ago. Due for new appointment)
High triglycerides
upward creeping blood pressure

I just can't take the toll of being fat and diabetic anymore. I make my living self-employed as an electrician and handyman and with a part-time custodian job, so I'm on my feet doing moderate physical activity a lot, which simply does not go well with joint pain from the lumbar down.
My lower back gets sore, I have sciatic nerve pain plus a loss of hip flexibility, my knees feel arthritic, my ankles and feet get sore and swollen, and the last few months I have a pain in my right heel that I'm pretty sure is plantar fascitis.

The meds I'm on for blood sugar control simply don't seem to do much of anything. I have been able to straighten up my diet and get the blood sugar under control and lose weight in the past, while on less medication than I am now, then got complacent and let old patterns take over. So I've been left with the hard realization that my health and mobility and avoiding early disability is completely on me.

I joined MFP just over a week ago. My daily calorie goal is calculated to where I would still be losing a pound per week if I were already at my target weight of 220#. Obviously I'm eating low carb to control the blood sugar. My macro-nutrient targets are inspired by ketogenic diets, but I'm not going all the way there. Right now I'm set to 20% net carb, 25% protein and 55% fats. (I'm using the Grease Monkey addon and script for firefox to display net carbs on my MFP pages.) So far I'm already down 11 pounds in that week (mostly water weight and carrying less food in my digestive system, I'm sure) and my thrice per day blood sugar checks have dropped to very nearly normal (non-diabetic) ranges.
I'm finding the food diary here much easier to use and to track my nutrition info vs trying to do it on paper.

Replies

• FiNnY22
    FiNnY22 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Mate, firstly welcome and well done. This stuff isnt easy.
    Secondly ill add you as a friend if you dont mind, so i can give you some encouragement and thridly well done looking at macros but id lower the fat, up the protein significantly and even add in 5% carbs. You need this to be sustainable and a higher protein diet will leave you feeling fuller, longer.
    Good luck bud.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking maybe the protein will need to be upped at some point. It's not easy though. To boost protein without also increasing fats I'd need to focus a lot more on chicken, turkey and fish. I like the carbs where they are tho, as my blood sugar numbers are right where they belong.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Looseing weight is not easy especially with other medical issues like yourrs. Proud of you for starting your journey. Be sure to drink plenty of water. we are here for you
  • 613sweetpea
    613sweetpea Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you with your journey. You've taken a step in the right direction by signing up with MFP and I'm sure you'll have a ton of support on these boards! :smiley:
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far. Just keep at it and soon you'll look back and have made so many changes. As the weight starts coming off your aches and pains should start getting better. Good luck!
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I read the title and thought I must have written this as I am also a Mark! Add me mate, I have dabbled quite a lot in Keto/LCHF, but found it too restrictive for my lifestyle. I am back on just CICO. I have requested you as a friend.

Good luck
  • angieseymour410
    angieseymour410 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think you'll do great markus. It is hard as im going through it myself, except i dont av the health issues you have. I wish you luck in achieveing your goals x
  • Junthe
    Junthe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Mark,
    Wish you the very best on this journey. I been struggling most of my life with weight issue and only now have found eating and losing weight easier due to fasting lifestyle and going back to basics with foods and hand in hand, the health benefits it has. Word of advice to you, kick sugar out of your diet. You can friend me if you like.
    Tash
  • SorryNameTaken
    SorryNameTaken Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Alisa and I'm fat too. I have never understood why that word is considered such a horrible word when describing one's self. I don't use it in a derogatory manner. Fat just happens to be one of the many adjectives that makes me who I am. I'm also kind, quirky, smiley, realistic, etc., etc., etc.,

Anyway, I good luck in your journey. It sounds like you are already kicking but and taking names. Keep it up and you will reach your goals before you know it :)
  • cassedebain69
    cassedebain69 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good luck you can do this feel free to add me