Water walkiing

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this. Being disabled my exercise has been limited to the swimming pool during the warmer months. I am actually able to move around back and forth across the pool. I found a reference somewhere that said walking in a pool or water burns 90% of your weight in calories in thirty minutes. Seems high to me, but I have been recording it as such. Has anyone seen any documentation on this?

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    I wonder if anyone has any experience with this. Being disabled my exercise has been limited to the swimming pool during the warmer months. I am actually able to move around back and forth across the pool. I found a reference somewhere that said walking in a pool or water burns 90% of your weight in calories in thirty minutes. Seems high to me, but I have been recording it as such. Has anyone seen any documentation on this?

I'd never been challenged, but my only association with excessive calorie-burns related to water/pool/hydro-conditioning & strengthening workout routines would be deep water running.

ETA: There are alternatives to running obviously, some are floor-workouts with weights for speed/endurance buildup.
  • darrellpi
    darrellpi Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for that. What I had read was walking burned 90% of your body weight in calories (in water) in thirty minutes and that water jogging was 50% more. In enter my time but I am hesitant to trust the value actually being that high and won't eat accordingly.
  • Topazsmom
    Topazsmom Posts: 1
    I have read online that if you walk or jog in water for 1 hour and weigh 155 lbs. then you will burn about 550 cal. You can find a pool any time of the year. I know some hotels that for a small fee they will let you use their indoor pool. The Y and some gyms have pools and many times your insurance will pay toward the membership. Enjoy...it's the best!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Thanks for that. What I had read was walking burned 90% of your body weight in calories (in water) in thirty minutes and that water jogging was 50% more. In enter my time but I am hesitant to trust the value actually being that high and won't eat accordingly.

You've lost 118lb to date ~ Congratulations! You clearly know what you're doing.

How much you're eating vs your current weight vs your age vs your activity (level of difficulty/intensity/duration) vs your average heart rate will generally gauge a rough estimation (+/-) of what would be an appropriate volume for you to consume to support your programme.

Do you mind sharing how much exactly are you minding to eat at this time?

ETA: Gross calorie-burn focused vs Net calorie-burn conscious.
  • darrellpi
    darrellpi Posts: 4 Member
    No problem at all.I started with about a week left in February last year.I was very strict at first, only eating 1200 to 1300 calories a day for about four months. I don't know how fast the weight came off because I couldn't weigh for a long time. I had gone to a meeting about gastric bypass and they had the means to weigh for the first time in years. Scared me because I had no idea I was over 500 pounds. So I was pretty motivated to stick with it.I finally accepted I had to change and it was going to take a long time. Now I am about to slip below 400 in the next week or two. I now do 1500 calories a day and try to get in the pool every day.I try to do an hour a day which by what I found burns about 720 calories. On good days I do two hours and the most I have ever done was 2& 1/2 hours, burning over 1800 calories giving me a net zero. I am not as strict as I was at the start. I do occasionally go aS high as 2000 to 2200 a day, which is still less than MPG recommends for me. I do try for a lot of fiber,about 29 grams a day. My ultimate long term goal is 250, so I am not quite halfway there. But I will make it.