Stability disc on work chair

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
I'm not 100% sure which forum this goes under. Anyway, an ergonomics lady came to our office two weeks ago to evaluate us and some people brought up getting the stability balls to sit on. She said it's not a good idea to sit on them all day every day but a good compromise is a stability disc that you can sit on your chair and easily remove. I was wondering if anyone has used one and if you liked it? I ended up buying one and am using it today for the first time. I'm not as concerned about working my "core" but have found that my butt is extremely less sore from sitting and making phone calls for an hour! (I have always had a bony but and now I wish I would have had this in highschool for all those hard plastic chairs that were literally a pain in the a s s!) I'm just curious if people sit on them all day or just sporadically? Any down sides? I'm hoping that the little nubbins that stick out don't permanently leave marks on my butt or wear through my scrub pants, lmao!

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I use a wobbly cushion occasionally, as I have weak core strength due to a spinal cord illness. My physiotherapist suggested I use it for up to an hour a day - not because anything bad will happen but because it's very fatiguing for me to keep trying to sit upright (I fall to the right side and forward). It's nice and cool to sit on though!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to start calling it a wobbly cushion, lol!

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can visualize the benefits that come from sitting on a stability ball as you have a certain amount of lateral movement and have to compensate for that but a cushion that goes on your chair? Did the ergonomics lady go into any detail how this works?
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use one. It feels very similar to a stability ball. It does make me sit up straighter. I would recommend it. I am only at my office desk about 2 hours a day, so that's all the use it gets.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    They have many brand names like "disco'sit". The should be soft enough that you sink into them, inflated enough that your sacrum (butt bones) don't hit the chair.
    Some have smooth surface on one side and a bumpy one on the other side, It's personal preference as to which side is up.

I suppose it will help some with core-they really help fidgetting kids stay seated longer.

You can use it all day with no effects, for the poster who wondered about length of time to use.