If you primarily lift, but are tempted by a 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• uthinkuknowme
    uthinkuknowme Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    THANKS for all the replies and encouragement. I'm looking forward to running.

Best(?) feature of race? .... Ends couple blocks from a brewery. What a way to re-hydrate*.

* actually a terrible way but much more fun
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What a way to re-hydrate*.

Are you kidding me? I rehydrate every race all the way up to Ironman with beer afterwards. As long as its low-ish alcohol you are putting mostly water, some carbs, and some pain killer into your body. As long as you are smart about it there is no reason to avoid it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    THANKS for all the replies and encouragement. I'm looking forward to running.

Best(?) feature of race? .... Ends couple blocks from a brewery. What a way to re-hydrate*.

I think you will be fine...I will however caution you that running on a treadmill is different so be prepared for that.

Maybe try a small run outside a week or two before the race.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would suggest switching your treadmill runs to outdoor runs because it's just not the same. Other than that you should be totally fine.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Better training would be to get off the treadmill and hit the streets. Other than that 3x a week should be good depending on your distance.
  • 891996Aa
    891996Aa Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing a little more running than your anticipated 3.1 miles or 5k. Thats is great start! My first 5k i had only been practicing running roughly about 15 minutes every so couple of days. I was extremely tired after my 5k averaging about 35-38 minutes for completion. I run a lot more now after those years. I now use my 5k and 10k as practice for my half marathons and soon a full marathon. My 5k time is usually about 25minutes now as compared to my first one. You will do great and enjoy your 5k. I promise when you look back into it you will remember you had some fun and it will all be a breeze! ☺
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine endurance wise, but if you've never run outside, I'd get out there and do it a few times beforehand. It's a completely different ballgame to running on a treadmill with wind resistance, uneven surfaces and no bounce under your feet, unless you're wearing Hoka's :-). I am quicker outside than on the treadmill, although still very slow. I find outside running far more tiring though.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I would say go for it. A great way to get experience of outdoor running and see what you make of it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you will be more than fit for the 5k, go for it :smile: