Fit-bit--is it worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. One of the best features is that it syncs with mfp. So I don't have to play exercise calorie guessing games.. It's also an incentive to see my calories increasing throughout the day in my diary
  • AvrilC1971
    AvrilC1971 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just got one for Mother's Day... I'll let you know. :smiley:
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. How do you use a one-time reading for HIIT workouts? Maybe we're using the same words to describe different things, or we have a different approach to it. I think of a HIIT workout as a series of repeats, like "go 30 seconds at 90 % max HR then 15 seconds rest, do this 5 times." At that level of intensity I'm too engrossed in my exercise to be able to interact with my phone, and also I want to know that I actually hit my target. Are you maybe going by pace targets instead?

I just take one-time readings at various points. Same basic exercise, but yes there is a difficulty factor in getting the metric while in a intenssity spike. It took some practice, and there may be some app that does it over time (I haven't explored this but someone else may know and I would be interested if there is), however for my purposes before getting the Fitbit it worked well enough to fetch my HR at different times. I'm doing this on a stationary bike so that probably makes it somewhat easier as well, since most of the rapid motion isn't occupying my arms and hands so much. I can see where this might be much more difficult on a walk/sprint HIIT or swinging around k-bells or such.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    A month ago I was given a hand me down charge hr. I am still trying to decide if it is something worth having :wink:

Some of the things I really enjoy:
    -I love the sleep tracking!
    -I love the vibrating alarm!
    -I have my doubts about the accuracy of the hr tracking but it is neat to see a graph for the day and correlate activity with the increases. Or to see how quickly it rises as soon as a wake up.
    -I didn't think I would care but I enjoy the notification of getting 10k steps.

Some of the things that are kinda irritating:
    -The daily calorie goal is low for me. If I ate what it told me - I would be losing weight. I have been maintaining my weight for over a year and already know what I need to eat. If the calories were closer to accurate I would probably order a new one if this thing broke.
    -It is annoying to wear with some long sleeve shirts.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I went with a Misfit Flash for a few reasons. It's cheaper. I can use it for cycling (it also does swimming, plus the usual step based activities) and wear it on my shoe if I'm pushing a stroller or pulling a wagon. It uses a watch battery rather than requiring charging every few days. I've only had it a week, but I'm very happy with it. It syncs with MFP and updates my calorie goal as I go.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love mine as well. Loved seeing my resting heart rate drop so significantly during the last six months... Love the challenges with co-workers which pushes me to exercise even harder (not that I need too much outside motivation).. I love seeing the calories burned when I exercise intensely... More than worth the money to me... Albeit I WAS a bit obsessed when I first purchased it. Lol I'd turn the car around in a minute to go back for it...didn't want to move unless I was wearing it, as that is a waste of uncalculated steps. Lol
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I like my fitbit but I will tell you it hasn't done anything for my waistline. I might walk a little bit more but not enough to really have large effects on my physical fitness.