How long did it take?

Options

Replies

• stelloian
    stelloian Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post! Ha! OP, I feel the same. I am proud of my progress so far, but 9 weeks in I am only 9 lbs down. I had a friend just lose 21 lbs in 28 days. I got so discouraged because I have been fighting so hard and it just wants to stick. But I will not give up! And I won't starve myself because I am breastfeeding as well so if iterates a little while, then so be it.
    5'8"
    SW 170
    CW 160.8
    GW 144
  • ParkingPeddler
    ParkingPeddler Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think it ends about a minute after my last breath on this earth. Genetics, and a proclivity for binge eating will require my persistence.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 20 lbs. I was breastfeeding and didn't want to lose too quickly because toxins are stored in fat cells and can go into your milk. I ate about 2,000 calories with exercise. Now that my son is basically weaned I'm eating about 1200-1400 calories and losing much faster. I won't be eating this low for long as I want to get back to lifting, but I gained a bit when I was trying to heal my gut so I want to lose a bit quickly.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I think it ends about a minute after my last breath on this earth. Genetics, and a proclivity for binge eating will require my persistence.

Yeah, that's what I would say, too. I can tell from how I eat on the few special occasions where I don't plan my meals that planning my meals cannot be anything other than a lifelong need.

Reaching my goal isn't the end, it's the beginning of the next phase.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    dont feel too bad, count your blessing, it sounds like you are doing ok, even if it is slow which is frustrating.

Ive been trying to lose weight for well over a year and only lost about 10 lbs . I cut calories and increase exersise adn it will go down a few pounds then right back up. over and over. Im eating less and hopefully healthier, and killing myself exersizing to my limits, it seems like for nothing if I am almost the smae weight as when I started and was scarfing down whatever I wnate dnad being sedintary. . I certianly dont look or feel any better thats for sure. infact Im sore all the time hungry all the time and exausted. very frustrating. not sure when I am going to see a turning point and dont know why I havent given up yet. guess I just want it that bad.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sometimes slower is better. You might be able to keep off and your friends won't. I am hoping for a 30 lb loss for my one year in July.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I've been working at it for about 3 years. I'm 58 years old, 5'6" with a starting weight of 250+. My current weight is 158ish. I'm struggling to lose another 5 or so. I'll get there, I'm in no rush.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    5'5"....started at 236. It took me 16months to lose ~75#.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP I have similar stats. Started here at 5'4" and 163 and I think it took me about 10 months to lose about 30 lbs. It's different when you have more to lose. There's usually a big water weight drop and you can sustain a 2lb per week loss for a longer period of time.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    what you are doing is working for you. Keep at it. Don't compare yourself to others. Celebrate your success. 30 lbs in a year is great progress.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for this. I'm 5'9 and have lost a whopping 19lb since January, I'm at 245 now and want to get to 199 first goal. It is slow, and I find patience and consistency is key. I don't care how long it takes me this time, bc before I'd put a time limit on it as in lose X amount by Y time.. plus I'm living life, holidays and bdays happen, and some days I'm not as strict as others, but progress IS happening :#
  • fastobese
    fastobese Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds in 30 days I was 187pounds and now 167pounds, I've done it by only eating chicken breast with salad and banana on every meal everyday sometimes i do a cheat meal like once a week but I make sure it's only 500 calories so I don't go over 2k calories
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Hah! I enjoy regular food and great variety. I want to be kind to my body and follow a sustainable eating plan.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Comparing yourself to other folks can be a total motivation killer. It's ok if you're just trying to get a general sense of how long it has taken people, because ultimately, I'll think that you'll see that there is no general sense - every body is different, and the time it takes to lose weight depends on a huge variety of factors. If the plan you're working is working for you - stick with it.

To add another example - I'm 5'9 and started at 290. It took me 11 months to lose 40 pounds. I simply logged calories (no special diet - I still eat donuts and hamburgers and stuff - as long as it fits my calories), but in lieu of eating my exercise calories, I have one cheat day at about 400 calories over. I decided to stick it there for 5 months and did (this was eating within my calories M-F, but largely eating whatever I wanted on the weekend - I logged it, but didn't really care a whole lot about whether it was over my calorie limit). I'm now trying to get another 25 pounds off, and will likely give myself the rest of the year (or perhaps even into February, as holidays can be tough) to get it. Slower works better for me, and seems to be more sustainable. Find what works for you and don't worry about other folks.
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Agreed with many posters above. If it's what works for you, then that's what works! I've lost -35 pounds in a little over a year. It's the most sustainable weight loss I've ever experienced (previous attempts were crash dieting and regaining). So I averaged about -2.5lbs/per month which is considered on the "slower" end. I'm getting closer to my goal weight (135) and I only managed to lose 1 pound last month :( But what's important is that you keep aware of your caloric changes and adjust accordingly.
  • galabrielle98
    galabrielle98 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's replies. I know comparison is a total motivation killer and it's nice to hear that my loss isn't hopelessly slow.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Next time your at the gym, pick up something that weighs 25 pounds, then add 5 and you will quickly realize the significance of what you've accomplished so far. Nice job.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90lbs so far in the last three years. So, on average 30lb per year.

I'm being patient and it doesn't bother me that it's taken this long (and I still have about 20lb to lose).
    However, sometimes I wonder myself if it's taking too long for me to lose weight. I certainly could have been stricter at some points (and have had several months here and there where I wasn't tracking calories at all) but this is my own personal lifestyle change. Everyone's "journey" is different.
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have been on mfp for a year now and have successfully lost 30lbs, going from 174 to 144. I felt confident with my progress until I saw some people who weighed the same as me and lost twice as much in year. Even one of my friends only recently started and she already lost as much as me.
    My question is: how long did it take you? I'm just trying to see what is a common pattern and if I should consider a change of pace. I'm 5'3 and not on a special diet with 6 days of exercise a week. I've heard that paleo diets and vegan diets seem to work but I'm hesitant to try them. :wink: :smile:
    It took me a year and a half about to lose 40 pounds and I am in a plateau right now. No diet restrictions.
  • NAbramovich
    NAbramovich Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I started in November at 185 and made it last week to 163.5 (I'm 5'). I think I want to get to 125 eventually, but I'll adjust that target if needed when I get closer. It's been incredibly slow, but I'm proud of myself and have kept up my efforts long past any previous attempt. I'm not killing myself eating food I don't like or starving myself. I think you should be proud of your progress and not compare yourself to others.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!