Wellbutrin & Weight Loss

Options
Anyone else have trouble meeting their calories while on Wellbutrin? I'm only 3.5 weeks into it, and I'm nauseous all the time, so I usually force myself to eat. My doctor said it takes roughly 6 weeks for those symptoms to begin to go away. I don't want to throw my body into starvation mode.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode (the way people talk about it in dieting) doesn't exist.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    JennB629 wrote: »
    Anyone else have trouble meeting their calories while on Wellbutrin? I'm only 3.5 weeks into it, and I'm nauseous all the time, so I usually force myself to eat. My doctor said it takes roughly 6 weeks for those symptoms to begin to go away.

What form are you taking and what strength? There are three different forms and various strengths. I have no nausea on 100 mg of SR. The XL didn't agree with me, however.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I noticed it at first, but give it some more time. 3.5 weeks isn't long at all in terms of antidepressants. Your doctor is correct. I don't have any side effects anymore.
  • JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What form are you taking and what strength? There are three different forms and various strengths. I have no nausea on 100 mg of SR. The XL didn't agree with me, however.[/quote]

Bupropion HCL XL 300mg

• JennB629
    JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I noticed it at first, but give it some more time. 3.5 weeks isn't long at all in terms of antidepressants. Your doctor is correct. I don't have any side effects anymore.

Thank you! ☺️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What form are you taking and what strength? There are three different forms and various strengths. I have no nausea on 100 mg of SR. The XL didn't agree with me, however.

Bupropion HCL XL 300mg

You could ask your doctor about a lower dose or a different form.
  • ashenk224
    ashenk224 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Bupropion HCL XL 300mg

I take the same dosage. I had similar effects at first but I've been on it now for over a year and that went away. When I was on the 450mg dose I was getting headaches but stayed at the 300mg and I've been just fine

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have trouble meeting their calories while on Wellbutrin? I'm only 3.5 weeks into it, and I'm nauseous all the time, so I usually force myself to eat. My doctor said it takes roughly 6 weeks for those symptoms to begin to go away. I don't want to throw my body into starvation mode.
    In the beginning (300mg as well) I did feel this way, but the feeling does subside over time.

And, starvation mode isn't a thing.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    JeninB629 wrote: »

Bupropion HCL XL 300mg

You could ask your doctor about a lower dose or a different form.

^^ Yes. Ask your doctor about starting on 150 XL with the intention of increasing once your side effects stabilize. Or take a lower dose SR.