Share - some of the crazy, underhanded, or bizarre food labeling and packaging you've come across

Options
shaumom
shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
Just thought this could be fun, but also probably educational in knowing what to look out for when we're buying things!

1. A few years back, I came across this. A bag of pretzels, and a bag of pretzels from the same brand that was 'lite' pretzels. Except the calories per serving is the same, all the nutrient % are the same, ingredients are the same. I finally figured out the difference. The 'lite' pretzels contained fewer pretzels...and charged you more money for it.

2. Mustard- I've seen mustards where the same brand has a dijon mustard, and a 'country dijon' mustard. The country dijon has mustard seeds that are only partially ground up, while the regular dijon had them completely ground up. That's the only difference I could see, aside from the fact that the 'country' dijon had a smaller package but, again, charged more money for it.

3. A new take on an old ingredient to look out for: fructose or fructose syrup. Regular High fructose corn syrup is defined as something like between 42%-55% percent fructose. Right now, however, high fructose corn syrup that is 90% fructose is being called fructose or fructose syrup. companies can (and have, now) use it and still claim 'no high fructose corn syrup.' (one article on it is here: http://naturalsociety.com/watch-corporations-renamed-high-fructose-corn-syrup/

4. celery extract - celery is high in nitrates, and in celery extract, it's actually the nitrates that are extracted and added. So many 'healthier' bacons can say no added nitrates on the label but use 'celery extract' instead, and it's still adding nitrates. :-P

So what label craziness have you noticed?

Replies

• megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Shredded cheese that says "all natural" on the package but ingredients list potato starch...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese.
    Has 10% wood pulp in it, which is ok, but is it still 100% cheese?

Source? Cause I've been googling and the only thing I can find is a lawsuit involving many brands, one of which (not Kraft) had up to 10% cellulose - which comes from wood pulp.
    Kraft is not Parmigiano-Reggiano. You don't need to google to tell there is a difference.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the potato starch was added to prevent the cheese from clumping. All shredded cheeses have something like that in them; the only way to avoid it is to shred your own cheese.

And, unfortunately, the word "natural" is meaningless when it's on food packaging.

But, potato starch.

Potatoes are natural. What is not natural about their starch?

Oh yes, I completely agree with you. I was only pointing out that seeing the word "natural" on a food product shouldn't raise any expectations.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the potato starch was added to prevent the cheese from clumping. All shredded cheeses have something like that in them; the only way to avoid it is to shred your own cheese.

And, unfortunately, the word "natural" is meaningless when it's on food packaging.

But, potato starch.

Potatoes are natural. What is not natural about their starch?

Oh yes, I completely agree with you. I was only pointing out that seeing the word "natural" on a food product shouldn't raise any expectations.

Ah. Exactly.
  • heatherhammy
    heatherhammy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by the packets of "low sodium" soy sauce... it had added sugar and corn syrup. I'd rather have the sodium! I can understand if you need a low sodium diet, but otherwise I think I can do without added sugar in my soy sauce.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by the packets of "low sodium" soy sauce... it had added sugar and corn syrup. I'd rather have the sodium! I can understand if you need a low sodium diet, but otherwise I think I can do without added sugar in my soy sauce.

Low sodium soy sauce should say LOWER sodium soy sauce....it's still packed with it