Weight loss slowing down, anyone else?

Options
My current stats:
female
131lbs
5'3
BMR: just under 1700 according to healthstatus.com

That BMR is with sedentary activity, and even though I workout hard every single day, I am not planning on eating any of those calories back, so there is no point changing my activity level for the calculator. Having said that, I am currently recovering from surgery and cannot workout for the next two weeks!

Anyway, I'm eating 1200 daily as I am too hungry to go below that. 1200 can be a struggle some days. The thing is, with such a low BMR it is going to take a long time to lose this fat, and I feel pretty unhappy with the fat that is still left (very happy that the first 20lbs has gone though!) My aim is 115lbs, I will keep going until I look a way I am happy with. But realistically, looking at the flab I have left, I do think I have at least 15lbs left to lose. I didn't think the loss would slow down so soon.

Anyone else in the same boat and feeling a little discouraged? Anyone been through this and now on the other side?

Replies

• SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1700, and you exercise daily, then you should be eating 1700 and count your exercise as your deficit. Even then, it's not a great way to do it. You have to understand that eating below your BMR while only having 16lbs to go, your body will start eating your muscle(I'm sure it already has) to sustain itself. This means that when you hit your goal of 115, you may only be 85-90lbs of muscle and still "look" fat. What you want rather is to maintain the muscle you have, if not increase it, while you lose those 16lbs. This way your body composition or look will be more aesthetic.

If you don't already, you may need to buy a scale and weigh everything to make sure you aren't overeating if your weight loss starts to suffer, in case the issue is actually that you think you are eating 1200 but are actually over 1800 a day(can happen very easy). Good luck.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    sorry you won't look fat, that's stupid...anyone at 115 and 5'3 isn't going to look fat, but you won't look toned as you might expect. Sorry...
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It is so much easier to gain weight then to loose it. I understand your struggle haveing to recovery from sugery is like a double whamy. Be extra careful of your food choices with not being able to work out for the next two weeks but hang on you will come out on the other side. Be sure to drink all your water to stay hydrated. Also consult your doctor or a nutrtionsist for tips while recovering. My prayers are with you for a speeddy recovery
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    BMR is your calorie burn while in a coma, as in no activity, just what your body burns keeping you alive. It does not include activity, sedentary or not. What you're talking about would be TDEE, which includes daily activity.

The closer you get to your goal weight (within 15lbs), you should recalculate to lose .5lb per week. You should also make sure that you are being very accurate with logging your daily intake. Weigh every solid with a food scale, measure all liquids. It's so very easy to go over if you're not weighing.

You should never be eating under 1200 per day unless you're under a doctor's supervision as you may not be getting all your nutrients.