Weight loss shakes?

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Wait! Hear me out before making any rude comments about how weight loss shakes do not work! I'm not using them to lose weight, my parents have recently bought some for themselves and kept saying how delicious the chocolate ones were. I had avoided tasting it at first because I've tasted some nasty shakes before, but I tried it and my god it's the best chocolate drink I've ever tasted before and I totally wouldn't mind having it as a snack instead of my usual fruit or smart pop popcorn! My question is, are there any disadvantages or side effects of drinking weight loss shakes multiple times per week? Again, I am not using them to lose weight or as a meal replacement. I want to drink it because it tastes amazing! lol My usual night snack is about 100-150 calories. The shake comes out to 150 calories ^^ I'm just not sure if weight loss shakes may have excessive vitamins/minerals/ingredients that may throw something off balance.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Well, if you're using meal replacement shakes as a snack, you might actually gain weight if your consuming more calories than you burn overall.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Well, if you're using meal replacement shakes as a snack, you might actually gain weight if your consuming more calories than you burn overall.

The shake is only 150 calories per bottle, which is usually how many calories I eat as an snack in the evening. I don't think they are considered "meal replacements", but they do say weight loss shakes.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Typically "weight loss" shakes are marketed as meal replacements, basically substituting 1-2 meals weigh a very low calorie shake. This effectively puts the person using them this way in a VLCD.

Since many of the shakes also act as vitamin supplements, you might want to be sure you aren't getting more of something like iron or vitamin A than is recommended if you take other multivitamins.