Need advice from OMAD users and those that have had success.

Options
ChrisC_77
ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So this is for my wife. She needs to lose about 100 lbs. She has tried modifying her diet before and does not have energy to exercise very easily. I am sure for anyone that is 100 lbs over weight... Exercise does not come easy.

I researched OMAD and it seems to work for a lot of people. Especially those with a lot to lose. And with minimal exercise. She also has no thyroid and takes prescription for that.

I like the simplicity of it. Plan one meal and that's it. I am sure you need to hit a minimum like 1,300 in that meal. My questions are

Does OMAD effectively reduce blood sugar spikes?

Do you have to do it 7 days a week or can you modify on weekends?

Is it hard to adjust to in the beginning? Like endless hunger and having to fight off hunger.

What can you consume during fasting hours? So far I see coffee, tea, water,. Can you add a small amount of unsweetened cream or milk to coffee?

If you are having trouble adjusting mg in the beginning can you have small snacks to curb hunger? (as a way of easing into it)

I would like to hear your successes too. And any before and after OMAD pics.

She has been overweight for years and is concerning for both of us.

Thanks.

Replies

• pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Why does she not join up here rather than having somebody else post for her.

Do what works for you. I did the one meal thing for a bit and frankly it is boring and for me lead to me snacking more outside of my one meal so was pointless for me also I enjoy the social aspects of eating which did not fit with the 1 meal a day thing.

As for exercise. You just need to hold on tight knowing that it will get easier and that helps if you do something you enjoy. Find something enjoyable and set a goal a little at a time. Don't make the mistake of going full whack and burn out after 2 weeks. Slow and steady.

It does concern me people coming on and posting for other people though. Your wife needs to be committed or best just forget about this altogether.

• ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pcpop7. She doesn't really do Social Media and asked if I would inquire for her..
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The main thing is total calories in vs. total calories out.

If she is interested in some form of intermittent fasting that is fine. It doesn't really matter much if you eat one meal or 6 as far as weight loss.

What is important is that she chooses something she can stick with for the long term to get the weight off.

I would suggest that she spend some time thinking about how often she is hungry, how much she needs to eat to feel "not hungry" vs. full, and what kind of meals keep her satisfied for a longer time period.

I do best with skipped/late breakfast, keeping up protein, and small frequent meals. Other people here do best with a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast...that's awful for me and makes me more hungry all day long.

For specifics on "one meal a day" I would use the search function here and include IF or intermittent fasting.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If your wife has issues with blood sugar or her thyroid, I would STRONGLY suggest that she speak with a medical professional first - I think it's safe to say that most of us on MFP are not doctors.

As for exercise... I'm strongly of the notion that anyone can do exercise regardless of weight. The trick is to find something that she finds enjoyable - or at least minimally objectionable - and within her capabilities. If she can't run, have her walk. If she can't walk, have her work on improving her flexibility, strength and range of motion.

Most of all, though, your wife is going to need to determine why she became overweight, and what (if any) issues with her relationship to food may need to be addressed.
  • canadianmom1975
    canadianmom1975 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I practise intermittent fasting(IF). ..i started out weighing 238...now iam 194.5

IF is every day you fast and eat only during your eating window...i practise 16/8 (leangains method) i eat 8 hours and fast 16 hours...my eating window i chose 12pm to 8pm...you can chose the eating time that best suits you...i prefer to eat 12 to 8 so i can eat supper with the family...i sometimes shorten the eating window to 6 hours....i drink LOTS of water and if you like coffee you can drink that as well during your fasting hours...i practise every day...on my cheat days i may not count cals or may go to a resterant but i try to eat healthy...i count everything i eat...i weigh my food and use mfp to help track...i used www.iifym.com to find out my cals i need to eat to lose weight and compared it to what mfp said and they were close...for excersise she doesnt have to start right away..she will still lose weight as long as she eats in a calorie deficit