For those who go to the gym first thing in the morning

Options
jan112
jan112 Posts: 198 Member
How long are you up before you head to the gym? Do you eat first? Have coffee? Or do you just roll out of bed, throw on the gear and go? I'm not much of a morning person but it seems like my workout is going to fit in best first thing so I'm going to give it a try.

Replies

• BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Have your gym bag packed, full water bottle in the fridge, work out clothes, including shoes/sock by the bed. I do a cursury teeth brush for the benefit of my fellow gym-members, but really just stuff my hair into a ponytail and go. A co-worker of mine goes so far as to sleep in her gym clothes, but that's a bit extreme. Coffee just makes me have to stop my workout to pee, and I want the natural wake up anyway. I do have an energy bar in my bag for the drive home though. Hopefully I'm so worked that I'm starving when I'm done!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If I am working out first thing I grab water and get to work. I don't eat ( I like to eat after, makes the food tastier) or drink anything but the aforementioned water.

But for every person who doesn't eat first there is someone who does. Personal preference is personal.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4am and have my coffee, shower make sure everything is ready. leave for the gym at 4:45 than at 6 when my workouts done I drive to work, which is where I drink a protein shake.

Yeah, I go to bed pretty early most nights :)

edit: I should mention I'm a morning person and never really had any trouble with getting up early
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Up at 5 am. Dressed and drinking coffee by 5:30. Eat a breakfast bar and finish coffee. Run from 6 to 7. Clean up from 7- 7:30. Work a 8.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to have a light breakfast (egg whites and a banana) and my headache preventing dose of caffeine and then head to the gym. :)

ETA: I also chug a bunch of water before I go!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I generally have a small bowl of Cheerios just so I have something in me or I hit the wall. I drink a bottle of water on my way to the pool & keep another one on the pool deck for my set breaks. Coffee & something more substantial are for after I get back home.....
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me - I,m in my early 50s so I feel my body needs a little more time to get going in the early am. I can't just jump out of bed and go anymore. My routine:
    Wake up, drink some cold coffee while I'm on MFP.
    Bathroom, and sorry if this us tmi but I like to poop before I go to the gym, so sometimes that takes time.
    Jump on the scale ( I'm a tad obsessed)
    Quick shower, brush teeth, pull back hair
    Dress( clothing laid out the night before)
    Grab gym bag and lunch ( all prepared the night before), banana on the way out
    Go.
    Sometimes takes me an hour between wakeup time till I leave.
  • jan112
    jan112 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    OK gym bag is packed and ready to go for the morning! LOL at sleeping in gym clothes :) Thanks, I'm going to do this!
  • Farah_akbar
    Farah_akbar Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    Ok this must sound silly but for me I live in auckland NZ the gym I go to it opens at 5:30am so I am out of bed at five am get ready and then by 20pass five I sit back have a SOMKE n two tall glass of water n head my way to the gym I get there on time 530 to 7:00am and I walk out fresh n happy I think morin gym work is better then evening or afternoon