Sooo...I can't lose calories from Strength Training??

I know that I can lose quiet a bit of calories from Strength Training, it is more efficient than walking in my book, I need vigorous exercise to lose fat, but why doesn't this site allow Strength Training to be a calorie losing exercise??

Replies

• CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    It's because there's so many variables to weight lifting they can't calculate it. Best to wear a heart monitor with chest strap to calculate calories, but even then that doesn't give you a correct depiction since you burn calories for 3 days after weight lifting vs cardio where you stop burning when the exercise is complete.
  • Deev79
    Deev79 Posts: 74 Member
    It's because there's so many variables to weight lifting they can't calculate it. Best to wear a heart monitor with chest strap to calculate calories, but even then that doesn't give you a correct depiction since you burn calories for 3 days after weight lifting vs cardio where you stop burning when the exercise is complete.

Awesome response. Thank you... I've often wondered this myself!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Also, strength training is not done for calorie burning, it is done for muscle growing, which leads to higher BMR. It is best not to count any calories burnt from strength training.
  • ibtiamat
    ibtiamat Posts: 26 Member
    Ah! Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

I don't know where to get a calorie counter. lol