Eat back calories or not

Replies

• mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Do not eat back exercise calories, just set your target calories higher. I think MFP's formula is pretty good, albeit generous, so stick with the "sedentary" option to offset that. I calculated my TDEE (BMR * 1.2 for sedentary) for my target weight of 140 lbs and it's 1500-1600. My idea is I eat that much now to create a deficit so that I know what I need to maintain. I've experimented and I'm 5'6" and currently about 210 lbs, if I eat 1500-1600 calories per day I lose weight but if I go over 1800 I start gaining it back. I'm still trying to lose weight and just have to keep track of what numbers are working for weight loss. My hope is that I'll be able to eat more and still maintain when I get there, but given my recent experiments I am pretty doubtful.

The most we can burn from exercise per day is about 200 calories (on average, varies from person to person). After that, our bodies adjust and we do not burn more. Our bodies can adjust by limiting repair and immune function, so there really is zero advantage to over-exercising. It doesn't matter if you do 1 mile of walking or 60 minutes of incredibly horrible spin class, you will not burn more calories. There is a sweet spot and you have to find it, that's where you hit that 200 calories with the least amount of effort. A general guideline is 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise, and you can break it up into 10 minute chunks.

My advice is properly calculate your TDEE * 1.2 and use that as a starting point. Add up to 200 calories per day to account for exercise. And just play with it from there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    nallie562 wrote: »
    So according to the TDEE calculator I burn more than I'm currently eating...so I think that's my problem...

I'm not understanding why there is a problem. You said you want to maintain and that you are maintaining.

Your weight is actually a bit lower than the healthy zone, which I'm sure you know. If it's always been like that not a big deal, but what are you trying to accomplish?

(I agree with the advice to gradually increase calories and try to push energy and TDEE up.)
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    edited May 2016
    sijomial wrote: »
    mmmpork wrote: »
    The most we can burn from exercise per day is about 200 calories (on average, varies from person to person). After that, our bodies adjust and we do not burn more. Our bodies can adjust by limiting repair and immune function, so there really is zero advantage to over-exercising. It doesn't matter if you do 1 mile of walking or 60 minutes of incredibly horrible spin class, you will not burn more calories. There is a sweet spot and you have to find it, that's where you hit that 200 calories with the least amount of effort. A general guideline is 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise, and you can break it up into 10 minute chunks.

Regarding the bolded comment.
    No your body does NOT have a daily limit like that - that's why Tour de France riders have to try and eat 6000+ calories to try and maintain their weight!!
    Exercise comes down to physics - moving mass over distance which takes energy (calories).

What you are describing is a perpetual motion machine that creates energy from nothing - simply impossible, like a car that requires the same amount of fuel to cover 50 miles or 500 miles.

I burn c. 500 cals a day in exercise in winter and far more in summer and have to eat them back.
    Come for a 100 mile cycle with me and see if you can fuel it with 200 cals.

Hi @sijomial, while what you are saying would seem to make logical sense, it doesn't actually play out that way in the real world.

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(15)01577-8

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2647711/

"A growing number of studies examining the long-term metabolic effects of exercise suggest that the relationship between physical activity and total energy expenditure is more complex than Additive models allow. Rather than increasing total energy expenditure linearly in response to physical activity, individuals tend to adapt metabolically to increased physical activity, muting the expected increase in daily energy throughput. These metabolic changes can be behavioral, such as sitting instead of standing, or fidgeting less, but they may also include reductions in other, non-muscular metabolic activity. "
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    If you are not losing weight you are not undereating. If you were you would lose.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1109318412
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1116892278
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1164644001
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1116892023
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/913079039
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/903807892
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/881753099
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/875674446

I'm surprised at how many calories I burned from the run but if you look at the average heart rate and the time, it's on the high end of possible. I've been losing weight at the rate I'd expect based on the calories I eat and burn throughout all of these. For sure you can burn more than 200 kCal in a day from exercise.

Consistent with the study, I do find myself being lazier after an event like these. ("These metabolic changes can be behavioral, such as sitting instead of standing, or fidgeting less, but they may also include reductions in other, non-muscular metabolic activity.")
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Trying to maintain weight. I bike (8-10mi) or run (4mi 2x/wk, one long 6-13 mi 1x/wk) everyday, mixing weights and yoga in on occasion. I'm not very active at work but very active at home. Struggling to find the balance between burn and eating back what I've burnt. I usually eat 1300-1400 calories a day, rarely adding back in what I've burnt, but I actually think maybe I'm not consuming enough.

One way or another you need to account for exercise as well as all of your other activity. Think about it this way...the more you drive your car around, the more gas you go through...food is your gas.

I personally couldn't imagine someone who exercised regularly would maintain on 1300 - 1400 calories.
  • jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Definitely plan on eating back some of your exercise calories. Just make sure to keep it clean (no chips, soda or late night salty foods).

Having such a huge deficit in calories will guarantee muscle deterioration rather than growth. Your body will start breaking down the muscle fibers when the fat has already been broken down.

I usually have some cottage cheese or non fat yogurt before bed... s slow burning protein is ideal in my humble opinion.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    What is your weight/height/age? 1300-1400 does NOT sound like enough, unless you are like 5'2" and 50 years old. You should calculate your BMR: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

This will tell you roughly how many calories to eat every day. Generally, on days where you do a lot of exercise, you will need to eat more carbs. The amount of fat and protein you eat every day should remain constant. You need between 50-70 grams of fat a day depending on height/weight, and then you need like 120-170 grams of protein similarly depending on height and weight. The protein is much higher here than recommended by most sources because most sources are just wrong. If you want to ensure health and retain muscle mass, you should be eating almost your body weight in protein. For instance, I weigh 198 pounds, and I eat greater than 150 grams of protein every day, regardless of whether I am trying to bulk (build muscle), cut (lose weight), or maintain.

I keep seeing two versions of this, One is a gram per pound of body weight and the other is a gram per kilogram of body weight.
  • lemurcat12
    If you are not losing weight you are not undereating. If you were you would lose.

She's not trying to lose and should not lose. She's actually underweight.
  • lemurcat12
    What is your weight/height/age? 1300-1400 does NOT sound like enough, unless you are like 5'2" and 50 years old. You should calculate your BMR: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

This will tell you roughly how many calories to eat every day. Generally, on days where you do a lot of exercise, you will need to eat more carbs. The amount of fat and protein you eat every day should remain constant. You need between 50-70 grams of fat a day depending on height/weight, and then you need like 120-170 grams of protein similarly depending on height and weight. The protein is much higher here than recommended by most sources because most sources are just wrong. If you want to ensure health and retain muscle mass, you should be eating almost your body weight in protein. For instance, I weigh 198 pounds, and I eat greater than 150 grams of protein every day, regardless of whether I am trying to bulk (build muscle), cut (lose weight), or maintain.

I keep seeing two versions of this, One is a gram per pound of body weight and the other is a gram per kilogram of body weight.

Different recommendations for different purposes.

A gram/kg is the amount recommended for basic health when not at a deficit.

.65-.85 g/lb (or .8-1 g/lb of LBM, if you know it) is the amount recommended to maintain muscle when at a deficit, and also may help with athletic performance/recovery for people who are active. In that so many at MFP are either trying to lose weight or very active/trying to build muscle, I think this one applies to a good many of us. It's what I aim for (only about 95 g for me).
  • nallie562
    nallie562 Posts: 32 Member
    I'm 40/female 5'8" and have always been underweight, as is the majority of my family and my children.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Once you reach maintenance, Maintain. That means weigh on the same schedule as while losing. Record the weight with mfp which is an excellent tool for recording weight and charting changes over time. If you detect a trend up or down, adjust your calorie intake to address it. The sooner you begin to address a trend, the easier it is. Just don't decide it's a trend until a month of charting has proved it.
  • lemurcat12
    I'm 40/female 5'8" and have always been underweight, as is the majority of my family and my children.

Do you mind clarifying what you are seeing as the problem that you are seeking advice about? (I asked this upthread.)
  • nallie562
    I guess my goal is education. I've really only been into paying attention to the food aspect for a year or so even though I've been working out for over a decade. So I'm trying to match up my food and fitness now. I do know I'm blessed to have good genes but I know that the older I get the harder I'm going to have to work to maintain my body as well.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I guess my goal is education. I've really only been into paying attention to the food aspect for a year or so even though I've been working out for over a decade. So I'm trying to match up my food and fitness now. I do know I'm blessed to have good genes but I know that the older I get the harder I'm going to have to work to maintain my body as well.

This is the best explanation I've seen of the subject by the inimitable SideSteel....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

Note how both methods of accounting for your exercise calories end up at the same place.
    So personal preference, how consistent your exercise is (or isn't), how easy to estimate calorie burns all play a factor.

As my exercise often requires fuelling on the day (very long duration) and varies hugely day to day and week to week the MFP method works best for me.
    If you have a regular routine and prefer to eat approximately the same daily then average TDEE method wins for simplicity.
  • nallie562
    I'm quite consistent on my exercise and my eating habits so it sounds like TDEE might be the winner for me as well.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »
    And no I'm not loosing weight

then you have your answer. Calculators don't matter, reality does. If what you are eating makes you maintain your weight, then congrats, you just found your maintenance TDEE.

OP - would advise actually exceeding what does appear to be your current TDEE for a while.
    Prolonged dieting can cause a down regulating effect, particularly as regards general activity. Feeling low on energy has an effect on what you actually do.
    From the description of your activity and exercise levels your intake does sound a very low number to maintain.

If you add 200 to what appears to be your maintenance now then you should only see an approximate two pound gain in 5 weeks time. If you don't gain then increase cals again.
    Obviously if you do gain 2lbs then you have gained knowledge along with those 2lbs!

I do this occasionally! I try higher calories for a period of time to test weight gain. If I can eat more I want to know!