How do you cook your Salmon??

Options
tmshank18
tmshank18 Posts: 37 Member
I'm trying to eat more fish in my diet and I struggle with cooking Salmon...I seem to always overcook it as I fear it will be undercooked. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Make a foil boat. put the salmon on it skin down. Optional drop of olive oil or tiny speck of butter on top. Season with salt & pepper. Old Bay seasoning is great on it, especially the blackened Old Bay. Preheat to 400. Cook 20 minutes. Also, Hollandaise sauce is great on salmon (without the Old Bay). I have salmon several nights a week after workout. Great protein.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I cook mine on the grill on a cedar plank...I know what you mean about overcooking. Try a lower temp for longer. If your salmon has all the little white fat beads cooking out of it your temp is too high.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Cast Iron skillet w/ olive oil & seasoning.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Baked in the oven, salt and pepper.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I put it on foil in a pan in the oven. 350 for 20 minutes (I usually use my toaster oven so it might cook a bit faster)... always turns perfect (if it's a bit thicker, I just leave it a few more minutes).

I just spray it with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a bit of lemon juice.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I put mine on a foil lined sprayed cookie sheet season with lemon pepper and garlic and cook with broccoli or caulflower on the samed shhet pan seasoned same way on A350 degrees for 30 minutes
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This is the best way I have found. I like it seared on the outside and rare on the inside.

Heat the oven to 450 or so, very hot. Put an iron skillet on the stove and heat it to high. Season the fish with salt and pepper.

Place a spoonful of oil in the pan, then the fish (carefully!) let it cook about 3-4 minutes, until it releases from the pan, then flip it and stick it in the oven for 5 more minutes or so. Remember to turn the burner off on the stove!

Tuna is heavenly done this way, too - with tuna you don't even have to put it in the oven, just cook the outside and leave the inside raw.

Salmon is also good sealed up and sort of poached in the oven with vegetables - make little packets of salmon, lemon slices, asparagus, onions in parchment or aluminum foil and then do it at 350 for 25 minutes or so.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My favorite! cpdc4p54g9l3.jpg
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Usually cedar plank but last weekend I hot smoked a side on my charcoal Weber BBQ using cherry wood chunks and it was amazing. Will be doing that regularly now.

Always buy our salmon at Costco.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Foil boat is a great idea!
    Bake covered until almost done!
    Cook w diced tomatoes and onions, salt, pepper and garlic... Keeping it covered will really keep it moist!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I marinade it for ten minutes or just season with some cajun seasoning and grill it for about 6-7 minutes on both sides depending on the thickness. I use a super hot grill pan when i'm too lazy to go outside. Also, if you don't like the skin grill it for four minutes skin side down, flip and the skin will easily peel off, cook for 7 minutes and then return to the side the skin was on for an additional three minutes. Perfect every time.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Seared on the non skin side in a pan for 60-90 seconds then flipped and finished skin side down til it's cooked med rare to slightly rare(:
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I smear mine with a tsp of Ken's Lite Asian Sesame w/ginger and soy and broil.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i put mine on a cedar plank and grill it for about 20 minutes. salt, pepper, and dill is all I need
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Put on baking sheet
    Salt
    Optional - home made herbs de Provence
    Broil ~ 10 minutes
    Done. Perfect every time.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Pan searing fish is one of those simple techniques that you really want to master. Here's a video that keeps it simple and clearly shows the key points.
  • steggasaurus
    steggasaurus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm from Hawaii so I like to cook my salmon 2 ways.

1. Furikake salmon (a seaweed, salt and sesame seed rice topping usually)

Preheat oven like 350. Use a foil boat. Place salmon skin down. And you can either spread thin smear of mayo on top then sprinkle the furikake. Or skip the mayo and just sprinkle it right on. Bake for about 20 mins.

Or

2. Lemon and capers. (Optional to use butter but skip it and it's still tasty)

Preheat oven about 350. Foil boat. Salmon skin down. And squeeze lemon on top over it. A little bit of olive oil sprinkled over. Toss some capers over. And cut up lemon slices on or under the fish. If you're going to use butter I'd just put a thin square under or over each fish piece. Bake about 20 mins

If you like your fish kind of med rare in the middle like I do. About 20 mins is perfect. Or go ahead and go longer. Enjoy :)
  • steggasaurus
    steggasaurus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's also this awesome Brazilian orange recipes my sister likes to make. I don't know the recipe but if you google it you can easily find it. Uses real fresh squeeze orange juice
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Lots of ways, but my no-brainer is:
    Salt
    Pepper
    Olive oil
    Parsley
    Parmesan

Bake for 20 mins at "400" - really 390 in my oven.

Get a thermometer for your oven, if needed. Some ovens run hotter or colder than they say, so you could be overcooking if the temperature you're setting isn't what's actually going on inside.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    i haven't read anyone else's reply ... so someone may have already mentioned these tips on cooking salmon ...

First ... my very favorite way to cook thick salmon fillets with the skin on is to marinate them in some lime juice and a nuetral oil (one that can take high heat) ... the longer they marinate, the better I like em. Then I broil them skin side up until the skin has blackened. By then, the luscious salmon meat is just about perfect! i don't salt and pepper until they have finished cooking.

Second ... my quick way to cook them is in a skillet on the stove. Medium heat, a bit of oil in the pan, and saute on one side without turning until the flesh has turned a whitish/lighty grey about 1/2 way up the fillet ... at least 5 minutes without moving the piece at all. Then flip it over and cook on the other side a few more minutes until done. I always start with the skin side down first. Often times, the fillet are already skinned and then I add lemon or lime, or orange slices to the skillet and lay the fish on top of those to cook through. Again, season after cooking.