Need advice on a new grill.

Options
MzMolly
MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
Wondering if I could get some input and opinions on grills. We need to purchase a new one soon and not sure what to get. Not even sure if we want gas or charcoal. Any thoughts anyone??

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm old school when it comes to grilling and it has to be charcoal. What is the point of a gas grill, isn't that just a stove? It ain't grilled to me unless it has that great charcoal flavor.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats the taste from a charcoal grill. I just don't care to deal with the mess it makes, having to buy charcoal almost every time and wondering when it's cool enough to cover (which takes forever to cool). With a gas grill, it's just hit a button and voila! I cook and clean enough, I'm all about what's easier and gas is easier I think. lol
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Charcoal may taste different but I love my gas one. I don't want to wait for the charcoal to get ready. I just want to start my grill and start grilling! You do still get a grill taste.
  • ParadisePat
    ParadisePat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Had a charcoal grill for the longest time until I broke down and got a gas grill. Just pay attention to the flavoring of the meat and you'll be ok. Don't miss the charcoals at all.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I love the flavor of food cooked on charcoal... we bought one of those first. We probably used it twice that first summer. Then I bought a gas grill - SO MUCH EASIER! The food still tastes good, and I just have to turn it on and off. Things like burgers can be cooked in just a few minutes, where it seemed like such a hassle before with charcoal because the process of getting it hot took longer than cooking the food!! So, now we have both. The charcoal grill still gets used once or twice a summer to slow cook some ribs or brisket - and the gas grill gets used multiple times a week.

Depending on how much money you want to spend, I've seen some super nice double grills that have a section for both gas AND charcoal.

If you're only going to get one, I suggest gas.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I prefer charcoal, but there are times when you just want to throw something on quick and then gas comes in handy. Chargrill makes a grill that has both Gas and Charcoal side by side. About $200. Bought mine at Lowes about 3 years ago. Use it about 4 times a week year round. Still holding up well.

For real BBQ you might want to try a Texas Style BBQ with an off set charcoal burner (indirect heat). I bought one about 12 years ago from Home Depot. I think it was also Chargrill. Paid about $150 for it. Use it about 2 or 3 times amonth. Great for whole turkeys, brisket, anything you want to cook low and slow or smoke. It's cast iron and will outlive me.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The dog is right as usual, go huge. Big enough for food on the right and fire on the left to cook with indirect heat. A smoke chip pan is nice too.
  • RoadDog
    Options
    The dog is right as usual, go huge. Big enough for food on the right and fire on the left to cook with indirect heat. A smoke chip pan is nice too.
    "The Dog"??

The Chargriller side by side that I mentioned earlier, has an attachment for indirect charcoal heat as well. My buddy bought one and loves it.
  • victorianjewel
    Options
    LOL @ the Dog

I have a gas grill and an old charcoal one as well. I use the charcoal one for smoking and the gas one for everything else. Have to try grilled corn on the cob soon.
  • RoadDog
    Options
    I used to grill my corn in the husks until I spent a week at my Uncle's in Palm Springs. He puts the "naked" corn cob on the grill and keeps brushing on a mixture of Olive Oil, Butter, Garlic as he continually turns the corn. Can't walk away from the grill too long or you'll burn it, but it is awesome. It's the only way I grill corn now.
  • victorianjewel
    Options
    Good to know, thanks for the advice:smile:
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate the help. "Dog" and Casper, you have talked me into the combination grill! I am going to go look for one tomorrow so I have it for a house full of kids this weekend! Going to grill chicken breast, racks of ribs and brats. My college kids are coming home with a bunch of friends and my son in high school is having a group over, so I "GO BIG"!

THANKS AGAIN AND HAVE A GREAT 4TH EVERYONE!