in what increments does your food scale measure weight?

Options
DKG28
DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
My food scale measures in grams, but I noticed it can only measure in increments of 2 grams - it can't measure odd numbered grams. When I'm measuring 6 grams, for example butter, what's actually on the scale could be anywhere from 6 to 7.9 grams. Doesn't make a difference with low-cal items as much, but with high cal things, it starts to bother me. Can anyone recommend a scale that measures more precisely?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    singular grams and ounces. I have an OXO.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    so your scale calibrates to 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or 10 or 12 grams, but not to 15grams?

doesn't quite make sense.

BTW my scale measure in grams, oz, kiligram and pounds
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Single grams
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly. It measures also in ounces/lbs, down to eights of an ounce. But the gram measurements are not down to one gram. Digital display, goes from 0 to 2 to 4, etc.
    I think I just need to upgrade. I paid about $20 ten years ago for this one.
    so your scale calibrates to 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or 10 or 12 grams, but not to 15grams?

doesn't quite make sense.

BTW my scale measure in grams, oz, kiligram and pounds

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    grams, ounces, and pounds and ounces. All with the push of a button. Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale. From Amazon $12.47
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Grams and ounces. Can do as small as .01 grams. Pc brand, got it at superstore for $25 and it has lasted a few years now. I have another one for bigger things as the highest that can do is 500g.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Don't know the brand of mine, I checked, all I can tell is it was made in China. It will measure ounces to the tenth and whole ounces. 4.4 lb / 2 kg limit.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My Eat Smart 15 lb scale graduates in single grams or .05 ounces. I like that is it's big enough to handle a roast, ham or even a small turkey.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I used to have one like that too, not sure why they make them like that. But I'm not sure it means that you are less precise than using one that displays down to the gram. They all have some error anyways and I don't think it matters in the long run even for butter and such but if it bothers you, scales are so cheap, I would just get a new one.
  • Breeli0519
    Breeli0519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    singular grams and ounces. I have an OXO.

I have this one, too, and love it!
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    My food scale measures in grams, but I noticed it can only measure in increments of 2 grams - it can't measure odd numbered grams. When I'm measuring 6 grams, for example butter, what's actually on the scale could be anywhere from 6 to 7.9 grams. Doesn't make a difference with low-cal items as much, but with high cal things, it starts to bother me. Can anyone recommend a scale that measures more precisely?

I have an Ozeri and it measures grams, lbs, oz, lb oz, and ml. Although I was advised today to never use the ml function. I also got my Ozeri scale on Amazon.com
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    0.1 gram increments, 600g total.

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »

Most I've seen do grams or ounces. You can switch it to the one you want.