Smoothie revelation

Lisamarie1226
Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Ever made (what you thought would be one smoothie) and ended up with a bunch left over? So instead of letting it go to waste, you just stick it in the fridge or freezer for the next day... But come to find out (this happens to me) that if you make a milk based smoothie, it's just not that great the next day so you emd up throwing it out anyway?

Well, the other night I made my favorite type of smoothie, a smoothie with orange juice (my 2 absolute favorites are the Dole Pinapple Orange Banana and the Dole Peach Mango- which was what I used the other night). I love to use frozen fruits because 1.) they just last longer 2.) It's usually cheaper anyway and 3.) it just makes the smoothies even more icy and yummy :-) Frozen peaches, mangoes, pineapple, and strawberries are my faves.... I keep them around and mix up my smoothie recipes.

Sometimes I use light vanilla or non fat plain yogurt (I didn't this last time) and 1 scoop of Isopure low carb vanilla protein powder. I found that with the frozen fruit (I used peaches and mango- to go with the juice) and the ice I used, I made too much. I took a chance, covered it up with a tupperware lid and went to bed.

The next morning, I was heading to the gym and decided to try the leftover smoothie. Know what? It was actually pretty darn good! I was surprised, as I've had bad experiences with "leftover" smoothie mix. So now, (I always prepare my lunch for work the night before) if I'm planning on having a smoothie for breakfast, I can just whip one up the night before and it will be ready for me the next day! Woo hoo...save time and calories :-)

Hope this helps some of you smoothie lovers (and this is great for lap banders :-)

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Good to know. I'm making my first attempt at smoothies tomorrow. I've been looking up all sorts of recipes to try to figure out how much to use of each ingredient so as not to make too much but I guess I will just have to experiment. I just finished washing and measuring blueberries and strawberries into individual baggies and put them in the freezer.

I've read that if you freeze your fruit you don't have to use ice.
  • Yeah a milk milkshake even a few hours later looks yuk to me.

I do a very simple one...

1 cup plain (homemade) yogurt
    1/2 cup frozen berry medley...no sugar added
    1/2 banana

I normally doube this and put it in 2 cups...cover the one for the next day or for dinner

Smoothies are my lifesaver...literally...the yogurt helps my poor gut that has lots of scaring :(
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Good idea! I'm going to do this later as I love smoothies for breakfast and never have time to make them before work!

Good discovery :)
    -x-x-
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    For Becka77- I like my smoothies pretty icy so even though I use frozen fruits, I still use some ice. It's just a preference :-) Experiment away -- it's fun and delicious to make these discoveries!
This discussion has been closed.