Tattoo: to wait, or not to wait

Options
brb_2013
brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
I'm dreaming of a large upper thigh tattoo, toward the outside/top part of my leg. I have wide thighs but I don't carry most of my weight there.

Do you think it's best to wait until weight loss is complete before getting a tattoo, or do you say to hell with it live in the now? Perhaps hearing from folks with tattoos who decided to go for it would be most helpful! Especially if your tattoo stayed lovely after losing, I'd love to hear about it/see it!

Replies

• brb_2013
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Tattoos sucks -.-

Wow, what an incredibly helpful and intelligent reply!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have one on my left thigh, high enough to be half covered by booty-shorts. I've gained 25lb, and lost 12 of it and it hasn't changed at all. Idk how much you have to lose, so that may have been irrelevant.

I did see a thread somewhere though about this same issue, and a lot of people said that their tattoo actually looked better after they lost weight. I would wait ONLY because I would use it as an UGW reward. If that's not what you want to do, honestly I say go for it. Make yourself happy.

ETA I'm also pear shape. 5'4.5', 21
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm naturally a pear shape meaning my body holds more weight towards my bottom. I've always had thunder thighs, still do a little bit. Before I lost my weight, I had two different thigh tattoos, one on the outside and one on the top of my thigh. The one on the outside didn't change at all but the one on the top of my thigh (an octopus) crawled inward a little but overall didn't change. I say go for it!

Oh, forgot to mention I lost a little over 40 pounds.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I worked with a lady who was married to an acclaimed tattoo artist - let's just say that you can't paint a good picture on a saggy canvas.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I worked with a lady who was married to an acclaimed tattoo artist - let's just say that you can't paint a good picture on a saggy canvas.

Right, so my logic says do it while I'm fat, or wait for muscle to fill the saggy skin later. Hnmmmm decisions, decisions!
  • brb_2013
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    I'm naturally a pear shape meaning my body holds more weight towards my bottom. I've always had thunder thighs, still do a little bit. Before I lost my weight, I had two different thigh tattoos, one on the outside and one on the top of my thigh. The one on the outside didn't change at all but the one on the top of my thigh (an octopus) crawled inward a little but overall didn't change. I say go for it!

Oh, forgot to mention I lost a little over 40 pounds.

Thanks! I've already lost 50, have another 50 or so to go before I decide exactly how much I'm losing. But I want to be muscular too so I'm not wanting to shrink overall size by too much, I think I'd rather do it as soon as I save up and enjoy it for what it is :) a part of an imperfect canvas:)
  • MRSLJ1975
    MRSLJ1975 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I just made my deposit for one!! I considered waiting until I got leaner, but I can't wait! I don't expect my thighs to get smaller though, just more muscular.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    And I just realized I only talked about myself instead of answering your question! Sorry, I'm just excited! I'd say go for it! My arm tattoo only looked better after I lost weight.