HELP! I feel like I'm being set-up for failure.

Options
Over the past few months I've made some great progress with my weight loss journey. I got myself into a great routine at the gym as I lucked out by having group fitness classes available to me with an instructor who I absolutely loved. Going to her classes was one of the best parts of my week. I've now just moved to brand new city and I'll admit I'll feeling really nervous about my ability to continue losing weight and getting fit like I had been. So much of my success was thanks to my gym as I found a workout regime that not only work, but that I was excited about. I feel like I have to start from scratch now and am worried that I may never get back to where I was before. I've tried almost all the classes available at my gym (during the times I'm able to go) and I can't find anything that a) motivates me, and b) gives me as great of a workout as I was getting before.

Any advice? I'll take anything from words of wisdom to thoughts on how I can create a new regime at my new gym.

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    What was the class that you enjoyed before? Is it available at another location? My gym has several locations near me and I can go to anyof them.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Do you have a workout buddy? Know anyone you can ask? I enjoy running, but there are ALOT of mornings that I would just roll over and go back to bed if I knew I didnt have someone waiting on me!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Relocating is a challenge for many parts of life, but no one is "setting you up for failure". You are aware of the challenges and that's the first step. Please DON"T reject anyone just because they're not as great as your previous instructor. Find the best class available, participate, and keep looking for other options. A workout that's less challenging that your previous class is better than no workout. Ask the instructor for modifications to make the exercises more difficult. I never saw a fitness instructor who wouldn't be thrilled to do that! Are there any other gyms near your home or work? You might have to check out a few instructors or gyms to find a good fit.

Also investigate at-home workouts from You Tube or DVDs available for purchase. There are always lots of threads on MFP about workout videos.

Remember that 90% of weight loss happens in the kitchen. You can keep up your eating plan to stay on track.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Take away all of your excuses and be successful where ever you are! All you need is you!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't make the same mistake I did. When I moved to a new city/state, I ended up gaining a good 10 pounds back because I got out of my routine for several months.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is no info on what type of classes or exercising you were doing, so can't give you much on that.

But words of wisdom, you can be inspired by others, but you are your own motivator. Actually look at new opportunities in fitness areas that will make you better! Think of things that you really enjoy in exercising or what you got from the class you were going to... was it the instructor alone? was it the actual exercising it self? was it the comradery from being in a class of others ... like yourself with the same goals.? . try not to cling on to the old because a new chapter means there is an even better version of you, just keep trying until you find that next niche that peaks your interest...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Good thing is, exercise ins't actually needed for losing weight. All that is needed is a calorie deficit. Find something else exercise wise and nail it!
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You had this before you Will have it again hang on to what you know works meal wise and prayers you will find exercise classes you enjoy again soon
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Find and befriend someone who is also into fitness.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    You are the only one setting yourself up for failure. Do not base your motivation on someone else, in this case an instructor. Essentially you have two options: go, or make excuses and regress in your fitness regime because you're not motivated to go. Blunt, but true.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I felt this way in early March. It wasn't my number 1 concern at the time, but it was there. My husband and I had to move due to a death in our family, and now I'm living in a house where environmental control has gone out of the window, I no longer have a private indoor workout space, and my routines have been completely disrupted. I did gain a small community gym, but the only useful equipment in it is the dumbbell rack.

I started back into habits slowly, and now I have a new routine, and I'm actually very excited about it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    That happened to me. I was introduced to a gym (non chain) by a friend and joined because of the awesome kickboxing classes taught by a specific instructor. She was amazing. She taught other classes that I loved as well. I never felt more fit and in shape! Then I had to move across the country...

I took up running and decided to train for a half marathon. That definitely kept me in shape while I mourned the loss of the awesome kickboxing classes I took.
  • Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I lost a lot of weight doing classes then I moved and gained maybe about 10lbs but then found a gym that had classes and maintained. Then I moved again and I gained all 65 lbs back. I just stopped working out and yes, its all my fault. Now I hate myself!