Dumbbell or Smith Machine

Options
Should I use dumbbells or smith machines? When I use dumbbells I have a better pull in my muscles rather than the Smith machine. But the smith machine allows more weight for a excersize, the dumbbells at my gym only go up to 75 pounds.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells or squat rack
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You can go a long way on dumbbells - they really require a lot from your stabilizers. I bench 5RM 160 on barbell, but only bench 5RM 45 in each hand on dumbbell.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    diontre840 wrote: »
    Should I use dumbbells or smith machines? When I use dumbbells I have a better pull in my muscles rather than the Smith machine. But the smith machine allows more weight for a excersize, the dumbbells at my gym only go up to 75 pounds.

Why not a regular power rack? I use the Smith machine only as a last resort.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why do I have to choose one or the other?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells or power rack/squat rack.

Mind you, I don't even have access to a smith machine anymore.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Free weights will build the most muscle and result in greater strength gains. I know several people who have been hurt on smith machines attempting to do squats and deadlifts.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you can do more weight because it's easier, do you think you're actually doing more weight? I think the machine is doing the work.

I'd pick free weights :) But do pay attention to form. Quarter squats with more weight are not more impressive than a full squat at a lower weight.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Free weights FTW