Can you drink liquor and still lose weight?

Options
I'm kind of new to this to this site and would appreciate any feedback. if I eat healthy and exercise regularly can I have a few drinks if I'm under my calorie goal

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ParkingPeddler
    ParkingPeddler Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't. I cut beer, then I cut soda and drink whiskey on ice...but when I do, I don't lose a pound. I guess if I didn't eat any food...but then there is a larger issue at hand just waiting around the corner.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. You can have anything you want as long as you are under your calorie goal.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes - as long as it fits into your calories for the day, you can have anything you want. :) You might notice water retention the day after, but alcohol consumption only affects the amount of fat on your body if you are consuming more calories than you're burning.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you can't, someone forgot to tell my body--I lost 70+ pounds drinking a few whiskeys a week.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...with planning and control. A lot of people lose control and drink/eat a lot, some folks (like me) do alright. I've cut down quite a bit, but hey, I'm a cheap date now! You'll likely find with weight loss/lower food intake/overall cuts in drinking that your tolerance will go down. Ultimately that means you'll find it easier to have your drinks and make them fit into you caloric goal.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can drink anything and still lose weight in the beginning. However, later on it will get harder. Like most drinks they contain a lot of sodium. Sodium or salt retains water weight, which can make it harder to lose weight. I cut down on salt a lot. I don't even put it in my food or when I cook.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of new to this to this site and would appreciate any feedback. if I eat healthy and exercise regularly can I have a few drinks if I'm under my calorie goal

You might be able to. I can't. Weight loss stalls if I do.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sure can! Just make sure to measure and log it. :)
    Save up some calories, too. ;)

4u9qkk3tt55h.jpg
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Entry called:
    Banking Calories.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As long as you log it, eat or drink whatever you want!
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I mix Mio with water to make calorie free juice, and have a single shot of vodka in it.

Or vodka and diet tonic water, with lime :)
  • hannahmayr30
    hannahmayr30 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It stalls my weightloss if I drink, even if it's vodka pelegrino
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Theoretically I can, but practically, no. My willpower flies out the window after even one drink.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sure. Log it and account for it and when you have too many then say "screw it" and live your life and enjoy and get back on the plan tomorrow.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Yes - as long as it fits into your calories for the day, you can have anything you want. :) You might notice water retention the day after, but alcohol consumption only affects the amount of fat on your body if you are consuming more calories than you're burning.

Isn't alcohol a diuretic? Is it the alcohol itself or the sugar/sodium laden mixers that cause retention? I often see a drop in water weight after having drinks the night before. But that's only if I stick to my plan. More than one drink, though, and I care a lot less about sticking to my plan. :s
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Stay under your calories and you'll be fine.
  • Tinawood40
    Tinawood40 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs and had wine most days during the past year.
  • xCyanideGirlx
    xCyanideGirlx Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sure can! Just make sure to measure and log it. :)
    Save up some calories, too. ;)

4u9qkk3tt55h.jpg

Haha! I LOVE trailer park boys <3333
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    IIFYM of course!